To heck with iPhone 6/6+ glass screen protectors!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by davistld01, Dec 16, 2014.

1. davistld01 macrumors 6502a

davistld01

I don't know about anyone else here...but I have all but given up trying out one glass screen protector after another on my iPhone 6. I've tried the ZAGG, Otterbox, ESR & the one at my local Verizon store and have yet to find one that doesn't chip, crack, have the corners lift up when using an Apple leather case, or refuse to stay glued down at the edges creating a loose edge to catch on things and bring on the already mentioned cracks and chips. None I've seen so far can deal effectively with the curved screen on the new iPhones.

I got tired of the loose edges of my latest experiment (Otterbox Alpha Glass) last night, put my finger easily under one of the edges...popped it off and threw it away! I got to work this morning, and installed my old "go to" Spigen Crystal screen protector. I went on perfectly...covered more screen area than most any glass screen protector, and stays perfectly in place. And, it is as clear as any glass SP as well, not interfering with the sensitivity of tapping or swiping the screen.

I'm done. I wish I had not succumbed to the lemming-like run for the glass...but I did, and now (although about $80 poorer) I see the light. I'm certainly not condemning those who continue their search for the ultimate glass screen protector...but I'm saying that there are alternatives that protect as well, perform as well, and are much more reliable and offer more bang for the buck.

:)

2. TheChrisBlaze macrumors member

Certainly, to each his own, and it seems you've found what works for you. Can't go wrong with those Spigen screen protectors!

I will admit that many of the glass screen protectors leave a lot to be desired to those with that nit-picky attention to detail (not OCD, that is completely different). I'm quite the opposite in that I actually like the ZAGG version because it seems to be the thinnest, lays flattest, and feels the best to me (I'm sure there are those that feel completely opposite of this, which is fine). I like that the edges are exposed because I'm one of those that fits a new case every couple days.

3. tsturbo macrumors regular

tsturbo

I quit using screen protectors years ago, I have never used one one my iPhone 4, 5 or 6 Plus. If you don't care for your phone very well or use it in rough conditions it might be worthwhile to use a screen protector but for normal everyday use I prefer no screen protector.

4. brucecottonmout macrumors member

I've been using my phone naked for a while. I'm a pretty careful person, and I think that it'll allllll be okay.

5. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I'm with the OP! I had a screen protector on my very first iPhone years ago . . . took me several tries, but got it on just perfect. But the surface of the iPhone glass feels so great without one, I never have used one since. All I do is have the iPhone alone in my pocket--no keys or anything. I have not had a scratch on the glass yet, and I've been thru 3 phones since the first one. To me it's like seat covers. I did not upgrade my car's interior just to cover it with seat covers!

6. EOB macrumors regular

I like to use my 6+ without a case as well, so what I do since the 6+ feels kind of slippery when using naked. I bought a full skin for my iphone (front and back). It was kind of a hassle to get on, due to the iphone curivng, but it was one of the best purchases I have made for my iPhone 6+. And for $6 it cant be beat, plus it allows better grip for the iPhone.

it is identical to the Zagg wet install protectors, but at a cheaper price. I purchased it from amazon and the brand name is Skinomi.