To Hot To Handle - Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod' started by shinerwright, Jun 14, 2008.

  1. shinerwright macrumors newbie

    Jun 14, 2008
    I work offshore on a drilling rig. I was running around the flight deck with my Ipod playing, happy as a sand boy when the music stopped and then I felt the player burning through my shorts on to my leg and the music stopped. The Ipod was too hot to hold and got hotter for about 15 minutes and then started to cool down.

    I plugged it in to the charger and it immediately started getting hot again so switched off. I'm assuming that it's a lithium battery and it's cooked off. This post is by way of warning as it's a potential fire hazard and to see if any one else has heard of this happening. I'm thinking of the ramifications if one was packed in hold baggage in a plane for example or being used by a youngster and they got burned.

    Sounds like the battery has suffered an unfused direct short. A fully charged Li-ion can hold a decent amount of charge and, if it is all extracted at the same time...............Try typing "lithium ion battery fires" into the search banner on YouTube.

    I'd be grateful for any information. Obviously I'll go to Apple when I get back to UK as it's under warranty.

    After four hours, the Ipod is ticking away like a watch so I assume that there is a short and it's using the last of its battery life.


Share This Page