To Imac or not to Imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by altafg, Jan 16, 2012.

  1. altafg macrumors newbie

    Jan 16, 2012
    I was going to get an Imac this weekend when someone stoped me and sadi 'Noooooo a new Imac may be released in March/April'.

    what should I do? Know one will ever know the exact month of release but I didnt want to splash out on a mac if a new one will be coming out soon, especcially if I am looking to get the top end mac?

    plss help:confused:
  2. simsaladimbamba

    Nov 28, 2010
    What do you hope to find here?

    As the old mantra is saying: Buy NOW, if you need NOW. Wait, if you can.

    And why do you need the high end iMac?
  3. DavoteK macrumors 6502

    Jan 5, 2012
    And when you buy that new one in March, there'll be a new one again in a year or less. As the poster above has mentioned, if you need a computer, get a computer. Its irrelevant what comes out next and when it comes out if you require something now.

    If you don't, then wait, but thats an infuriating game to play, been there, done it, had tantrums about it haha.

    Also, if you buy now, its not like your iMac (even the base models) will become all of a sudden clunky and not work properly. Any of the current iMacs will see you right for at least 3-5 years.
  4. altafg thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 16, 2012
    Thanks guys . you re-directed me to the correct path again.

    And why do you need the high end iMac?

    I dont really need the high end Mac but being me I like to have the best spec.

    I will buy one this week end. I can wait for the new if theres a new as I am not in too much of a rush but you guys are right its a vicious cycle.
  5. ericinboston macrumors 68000

    Jan 13, 2008

    It's not a simple as some people say with the "if you need now, buy now" mantra. That only applies to folks who have, say, a dead Mac and absolutely positively **NEED** a replacement machine for stuff like work or living your life.

    The rest of us who are looking forward to a new Mac (especially the top of the line) really DO FIND IT IMPORTANT to weigh the benefits of waiting 4-8 weeks for a new lineup. In my case, I am buying a replacement Mac to replace our 4+ year old, seldom-used Mini.

    New iMacs (or any computer) can have any of the following improvements: cpu, input/output ports, base-ram, max ram, hard drive speeds/sizes/styles, screen sizes, video dimensions, etc.

    Remember, there was a time when computers only had 1024x786 screen resolutions...or IDE drives...or single core CPUs...etc. There will always be a time when a great milestone is achieved (even if in the eyes of the beholder). How long and hard would you kick yourself if the new iMacs in March came STANDARD with SSDs...or 8GB ram minimum...or 27" screens? :)

    For me, I am waiting till the March timeframe. I can't sleep thinking that I paid TOP DOLLAR for LAST YEAR'S technical specs when THIS YEAR'S tech specs are going to cost the same exact price or cheaper...and only a few weeks away (go ahead, look at your calendar).

    I ration that thinking with other products...why buy a Sony tv that is 356 days old when a new one (same price) is coming out in a few weeks? Would you buy last year's car for the same price as this year's in a few weeks?

    The big question is how long of a wait. If we turned back time and it was August 2010, I wouldn't be writing this and I would have ordered already since I know I would need to wait 6+ months. But to me, being Jan 16, it seems very silly to buy a full-priced, non-discounted computer when a new "replacement" model will be out in a few weeks that WILL DEFINITELY HAVE BETTER tech specs than the current model...for the same price (or maybe cheaper).
  6. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    You didn't specify your usage needs and what you have now.

    It is true that Ivy Bridge is coming out April/May and presumably apple will refresh that iMac line with the new chipset. When they do that is anyone's guess.

    The Buyer's guide has a don't buy now tag as its nearing the end but does that mean apple will do a minor speed bump and then wait longer to release an Ivy Bridge equipped iMac or just wait until intel releases Ivy Bridge.

    The age old saying, buy now if you have too, but wait if you can still applies.
  7. jj48 macrumors regular

    Oct 15, 2011
    I think you've just restated the mantra.
  8. yashi macrumors member

    Oct 13, 2011
    I'm in the same boat, craving a switch from PC to iMac badly, but I'm also a gamer, so I'm definitely waiting for the refresh because I know I'll regret it like crazy if I bite now.

    But that's just me personally. If I didn't game, I'd probably buy one now. 3-4 months is a long time.
  9. jwm2 macrumors regular

    Jan 5, 2012
    If you are a switcher then i'd consider that an immediate need. However you won't know it until you make the switch, but you'll wonder how in the world you didn't make the switch months ago. I could never go back to windows, and i was one of those guys you'd swear would die before they switched to mac, but here i am.
  10. Coop-48 macrumors newbie

    Dec 19, 2011
    I was in your boat as well. I'm completing my switch to the Apple Eco-system by purchasing the high end iMac at the end of the month. I get a small but significant discount on apple products through my job so I'll get the high end w/ some extras at a reasonable price (considering).

    I'm not waiting to pick this up b/c there's no certainty as to when a new line of iMacs will be released. I contend that my high end iMac will be at least on par w/ any new iMac released this year. The differences in performance, I think, will be minuscule.
    Do what makes you happy. There will always be a “new product release” looming over your head when purchasing any kind of tech. As I’m sure you’re aware.

    When I bought my iPhone 4 last year, many suggested that I wait for the iPhone 5. I’d still be waiting if I listened. Obviously there’s a difference between purchasing a phone and a computer but I wanted to provide an example from my perspective.
  11. yashi macrumors member

    Oct 13, 2011
    Well me personally, I've owned a 13" Macbook Pro since 2009, which I use most of the time. My Windows desktop is mainly for playing Skyrim and Starcraft 2, and when I want more real estate to work with, which is why I'm OK with waiting a few months. It's really only replacing that computer.

    I'm also waiting on the IT guy at work to set up my 15" MBP and 27" iMac. Then I will officially be Mac only at work and at home. Can't wait!
  12. talmy macrumors 601


    Oct 26, 2009
    Let's restate it again, "Always wait if you don't need it now." Even when new models come out in April/May, one might still not need a new computer at that time. Perhaps wait another year? Don't confuse need with want.

    Another mantra "computers are bad investments". Like any expense, the longer you can put it off, the better.
  13. VulchR macrumors 68020


    Jun 8, 2009
    Just remember that there is an environmental cost to producing computers - it's probably best not to update unless you need to.
  14. ericinboston macrumors 68000

    Jan 13, 2008
    Not true...what if he buys now and a few weeks later he dislikes it. It now will sell on the "used market" for quite a bit less than one of the brand new iMac.

    If you're going to switch platforms (computers or any other product), at least wait for the latest and greatest if you are a few short weeks away. No sense in risking all that cash for a 1-year-old product when the newest is just around the corner.
  15. jwm2 macrumors regular

    Jan 5, 2012
    A few short weeks? I'm hearing it will be summer before it is released. The processor isn't even suppose to be released until april or may and it will probably take a few weeks or months before its ready for apple to use in production. If there was even a slight chance of not liking mac osx vs windows i might agree, but as a windows user since its inception i can safely say he will love the osx experience. Of course if he already has an osx machine and doesn't feel the need then its up to him, but otherwise i would consider it a need. My only regret in making the switch was not doing it months or years ago.
  16. mmomega macrumors demi-god


    Dec 30, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Actually it almost never comes down to if you need it now. It all in how much cash you have on hand for buying things you don't need.
    If you feel you want one bad enough and can afford it, do it.
    My nephew wanted one so bad he could taste it, he was online 80% of the day reading up on the current model. Then when I finally said, Hey lets go to the Apple store and get one, he changed his mind at the last minute and decided to wait. I could have cared less because 2011, 2012 model, either one will suffice his actual needs for a computer. Maybe not his bragging rights but definitely his needs.
  17. jwm2 macrumors regular

    Jan 5, 2012
    Sorry for the rest of us its not a matter of want, its a need. I run online businesses and spend 95% of my working day at my pc. Using my old pc i was getting headaches on a daily basis. I would get eye strain so bad i would have to go lay down in a dimly lit room to get relief. Since buying an iMac i don't have this problem anymore. Then comes productivity and general attitude. I don't feel as cranky anymore when dealing with customer service issues or questions. I can also complete my tasks easier and without the stress of the apps i use crashing and deleting work i've put hours into. I use SEO software that would barely run on my windows 7 machine. It was even a fresh install of windows 7 with all the latest drivers and plenty of specs to cover the software i was running. But still the problems persisted. Since moving to mac i now use the mac version of the same software glitch-free. The apps in particular are SEO Power Suite and Market Samurai/Domain Samurai. Not to mention the web development software and graphics editing (dreamweaver cs5.5 and fireworks cs 5.5). I also create a lot of content using a word processor, and while using pages i don't have all the headaches i did with ms word. My invoices come in excel format and using ms excel is not the greatest experience so now i use numbers. Sure i could have went on using what i was using, but i would be on the brink of suicide. Since buying my iMac i have noticed my attitude is generally so much better than before. So for me its been a life changing experience and i feel this mac not only will pay for itself in energy consumption but makes me more money due to increased productivity. Like i said earlier i wouldn't go back for any amount of money ;)
  18. yashi macrumors member

    Oct 13, 2011
    Everyone is different of course. If switching to a Mac affects your quality of life and mental state to the degree it sounds like it did for you, then it's definitely not worth waiting a few months for the latest and greatest. I highly doubt many people are on the brink of suicide without one, however.
  19. DavoteK macrumors 6502

    Jan 5, 2012
    Is that a speculative 4-8 weeks, a hopeful 4-8 weeks or a confirmed 4-8 weeks?
  20. firestarter macrumors 603


    Dec 31, 2002
    Green and pleasant land
    What are we expecting to see in Ivy Bridge? USB 3?

    Super res screens don't seem to be ready for prime-time on the desktop yet, and the current generation of graphics and CPUs are fast enough for most. SSD isn't yet cheap enough to be rolled out as a main iMac drive either.

    I'd definitely wait 8 weeks for USB 3 in an iMac. Thunderbolt is great - but device rollout seems slow and expensive. I wouldn't expect any other game-changers in the next gen iMac.

Share This Page