To iMac or not to iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ag55, Jul 16, 2009.

1. ag55 macrumors regular

Im thinking of buying a Mac for studies. The student discount, plus the free (well £20) iPod touch is quite alluring. And 3% cash back doesn't hurt either.

Im going for the 24" 3.06Ghz one, 1TB drive, 4GB Ram etc -- you know the stuff.
    I'll be using documents, email, a lot of browsing, a lot of photo management and HD video editing. And i will also most likely run Windows from time to time. (Maybe a lot as this will be my first Mac).

I wouldn't hesitate, but as you can see above my last need is HD video editing. Will the core 2 duo be enough for this?
    Or should i wait until Macs go quad core?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Dual core will be enough, or get a Mac Pro. iMacs aren't getting quads any time soon. Next step will likely be Arrandales and maybe after them quads. Look at 4 cores in iMac thread and Is it good time to buy iMac thread (it's in iMac section)

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

As long as you are not doing it for work, the iMac handles HD video editing quite well. My previous iMac G5 does pretty well, so comparatively the new iMacs would scream.

4. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

The iMacs are fantastic machines IMO, and they pack a lot of power into beautiful cases! It's a great time to get one: great price and greaat freebies with the edu discount! Don't hesitate! HD Video editing will be perfectly fine on these machines!

5. ag55 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the feedback.
    Just read the thread hellhammer suggested -- I think im going for it now :)

6. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

Sweet. I want one too!

7. ag55 thread starter macrumors regular

Lies, all lies!

I just finished the second thread in the iMac section, about what people would like to see in the 2010 iMac. After seeing some of the suggestions i can see that i am willing to wait for another year for the potential support of:
    * SSD - I love these things, and them in a mac would do it for me
    * Blu-ray superdrive - big movie fan
    * 2nd sata drive bay - would like to have a SSD & 1or2TB drive

Other minor things i wouldnt mind are backlit keyboard (for that night time use) and a a LED display.

Did i make the right call?

8. Igantius macrumors 65816

If you don’t need the machine now and are happy to wait for changes that may not come next (personally, I don't think they will), then yes, you made the right call.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Those are just what people would like to have. SSD is coming in next update I think but Blu-Ray isn't before 2012, more likely 2014-2015 and there's no space for two 3.5" drives