Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XPcentric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Before starting this topic, I've already seen another topic title about someone asking to downgrade.

I have a Leopard macbook alu 2008

My cons are: I think its too late, I guess there will be many bugs and many app not working on the new version.

My pros are: I think it will move faster, but I can wait some months.

iExpensive

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2010
Las Vegas
Just wait, it won't be long until you have the official release. Your "WOW!" experience won't be interrupted by small bugs.

Greg M

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
No Lion for me, at least for a while. I've got a Pentax pocketjet 3 plus that relies on Rosetta for the driver to work. I need the printer far more than I need Lion.

For those that might suggest that it's time to get a printer that will work with Lion I ask why? My printer works great without any problems at all.

It's Apple that's letting me down. Absolutely NO reason to not include Rosetta as an optional download.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
If you're on Leopard and not Snow Leopard, then yeah Lion will probably be faster for you. But not enough to worry about.

My recommendation for you is after Lion is released, check each application you need to work to see if it's compatible with Lion and if it needs an upgrade for Lion. Or if it's dead software and you need to find something to replace it.

In truth if there is nothing that is drawing you to install Lion, I'd wait until 10.7.1.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
It's Apple that's letting me down. Absolutely NO reason to not include Rosetta as an optional download.

Cost of support, size of install package, bad interaction with other parts of the system, excessive battery drain by the software, lack of development resources to keep the software working with Lion.

Lots of reasons why Apple might not want to make it available. Not that I'm saying any of these ARE the reason, or even that each one is necessarily valid. But they're all possible.

Are there any reasons TO include it? Probably not many these days (I don't think Apple's going to consider your printer when making business decisions).

Greg M

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
(I don't think Apple's going to consider your printer when making business decisions).

Apple should consider that there are a lot of customers that use older software and drivers that need Rosetta for them to work. Not everyone can afford to replace software and hardware just because Jobs thinks that everyone should upgrade.

Five years is too short a time to obsolete hardware and software!!! I paid several hundred for this printer just 2 years ago expecting it to last me much more than just 2 years.

Next year I'm either going to have to stop using MobileMe (icloud) for my business backups or I'm going to have to by a new mobile printer that will work with Lion. Guess the real lesson here is to make sure that I don't have to depend on Apple. Almost makes me want to go back to the evil Microsoft for my business hardware and software needs since with them I don't have to worry about backwards compatibility. Of coarse all internet usage would still be done in OSX.

Businesses won't like the forced upgrades that come with dealing with Apple. Many businesses use the same software for a long time between upgrades and Apple has proven several times over the last decade that they don't care about what their business decisions will cost their customers.

I know that the fanboys won't agree with me since they accept anything that Apple dishes out.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
I know that the fanboys won't agree with me since they accept anything that Apple dishes out.

And the anti-fanboys will complain about anything Apple does. The circle of life continues.

Are you reserving all of your faux outrage for Apple, or do you have some for your printer manufacturer as well? It seems to me it's their responsibility to make sure the printer they sold you continues to work. Not Apple's.

labaom

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2009
I would just install Snow Leopard and leave it at that. Lion has a higher ram minimum requirement. Also, expose (Mission Control replaced it) sucks and there is no way back. Snow Leopard is just better in MANY ways in UI and simple functionality things such as gestures.

Greg M

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
And the anti-fanboys will complain about anything Apple does. The circle of life continues.

Are you reserving all of your faux outrage for Apple, or do you have some for your printer manufacturer as well? It seems to me it's their responsibility to make sure the printer they sold you continues to work. Not Apple's.

Let's point fingers and say it's someone else's fault. Fact is that you miss the whole point, it's one company telling every other company to conform or get left behind when Apple could easily continue to offer Rosetta as an optional download. It's Apple causing the problem by refusing to continue to offer Rosetta.

Apple wants to gain ground in the corporate world? They won't when they force companies to upgrade everything every 5 years.

BTW, I use to be a fanboy but Apple's actions over the past several years has made me to no longer be a fanboy. As of right now I still prefer them over Microsoft but it's only because Microsoft is still the lessor of the 2 evils. Apple is becoming just another big corporate bully. Not yet, but they're heading in that direction.

I love their products but I can't stand Jobs. They also do a very good job of standing behind their hardware.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Let's point fingers and say it's someone else's fault. Fact is that you miss the whole point, it's one company telling every other company to conform or get left behind when Apple could easily continue to offer Rosetta as an optional download. It's Apple causing the problem by refusing to continue to offer Rosetta.

Okay, first, you have no idea how easy (or not) it is for Apple to continue to support Rosetta, or what it costs them.

Second, no I'm not missing the point. You're blaming Apple because your printer is not going to be supported. You SHOULD be blaming the manufacturer... the company that stopped supporting the product. It is *NOT* Apple's responsibility to ensure that all peripherals continue to work with their systems indefinitely.

Finally, Apple made no secret that Rosetta was a transitional technology. They weren't going to keep it going forever. It was designed to make the transition from PPC to Intel smoother for everyone, which it did. The transition is OVER. It's been over for three years.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Five years is too short a time to obsolete hardware and software!!!
No it is not. Technology moves fast. You have a choice to stay current or not. Complaining about it is useless.

And printers are a dime a dozen these days. It is cheaper to buy a new printer than it is to refill its ink :p

graubereich

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
I need FREEHAND.
So i need rosetta.

So there will be no Lion for me (and many thousands of freehand users) :-(

CSCalciano

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
Stalkers
Yes

I would suggest installing Lion. There are a few bugs; I've had a few crashes (My brain was temporarily sucked into a vortex and I didn't use a partition), but the Resume feature took care of it! The only con to installing it is small: you might want to wait and be surprised for the final release.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
I need FREEHAND.
So i need rosetta.

So there will be no Lion for me (and many thousands of freehand users) :-(

You could always just create a new partition and install Lion. Then you can run Lion as your main OS if you choose and go back to Leopard to run Freehand when needed. Just an option.

The one thing I think most people would agree on right now is that Lion isn't quite ready. Some people using the DP's are having a nice experience but most people are having several different problems, some serious. It also seems to have different experiences based on which model Mac people are using.

I'm sure Apple will get much of it sorted out before release, but it's already June 20th as I type this, and I've assumed Lion wouldn't come out until the end of July. That's still just a month to fix what they can and release it. As with any new OS there will be problems and some software that isn't compatible or is buggy at first.

I'd love to upgrade to Lion the day it comes out, but I have to wait until I know that it can run some of the Apps I need to run my business first. I can't risk having my main business software not work with Lion, and the developer just gives a generic response when I ask about compatibility with Lion, "Of course we'll release an update if needed." Why haven't they been running the Lion DP to know if they need a patch or not?

Last edited:

Soliber

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
No Lion for me, at least for a while. I've got a Pentax pocketjet 3 plus that relies on Rosetta for the driver to work. I need the printer far more than I need Lion.

For those that might suggest that it's time to get a printer that will work with Lion I ask why? My printer works great without any problems at all.

On récapitule:
There's that group of people out there that keeps on whining that it is Apple's fault that they can't use Quicken with Lion, instead of taking their beef with Intuit, as any reasonable person would do.
Now we have you who is holding Apple responsible because you have bought a printer from a company that doesn't update their drivers when they are supposed to?
Why don't you put blame where blame is due? It's not Apple's task, nor responsibility to provide a crutch for every software company out there who doesn't want to put in work to properly support the Mac community.
Jeesh.
You have 3 options:
  1. Buy a new printer with decent drivers
  2. Take your beef up with Pentax
  3. Lament the cruel IT world and do otherwise nothing

GadgetKen

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011

Good news! :D

You can print without Rosetta with a PocketJet printer. Brother (who made the printers for Pentax and now just sells the PocketJets under their own Brother name) must have heard a lot of complaints from Intel Mac owners who have PocketJets.

There is now a Pentax PocketJet 3 Plus driver for Leopard and Snow Leopard. It is a full CUPS driver that supports USB or Bluetooth printing(if your pocketjet is a bluetooth model). I just upgraded from the old PowerPC driver I've been using with my mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro for the last year or so. Please note installation takes patience. Read all the instructions and readme files before doing the installation. Basically:

You download the driver from here (same file for all Pentax PocketJet 3 printers): http://brother-printers.com/downloads/default.aspx?r3modelid=PJ523&ProductGroupID=26

Read the directions carefully.

Open the downloaded DMG file.

Plug in the turned on printer via the USB cable only when prompted (and not before).

Print a test page.

If your printer is bluetooth equipped you also have to:

Set up bluetooth pairing and a bluetooth printing queue according to the directions for your Mac OS (different for leopard and snow leopard).

Follow directions for printing via bluetooth in the manual (note the queue for printing via bluetooth is normally "PocketJet Bluetooth" where the queue for printing via USB cable is "Brother PocketJet Plus with Bluetooth"

I do not know if this driver is also Lion compatible...it definitely works with Snow Leopard.

jkwireless

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Good news! :D

You can print without Rosetta with a PocketJet printer. Brother (who made the printers for Pentax and now just sells the PocketJets under their own Brother name) must have heard a lot of complaints from Intel Mac owners who have PocketJets.

There is now a Pentax PocketJet 3 Plus driver for Leopard and Snow Leopard. It is a full CUPS driver that supports USB or Bluetooth printing(if your pocketjet is a bluetooth model). I just upgraded from the old PowerPC driver I've been using with my mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro for the last year or so. Please note installation takes patience. Read all the instructions and readme files before doing the installation. Basically:

You download the driver from here (same file for all Pentax PocketJet 3 printers): http://brother-printers.com/downloads/default.aspx?r3modelid=PJ523&ProductGroupID=26

Read the directions carefully.

Open the downloaded DMG file.

Plug in the turned on printer via the USB cable only when prompted (and not before).

Print a test page.

If your printer is bluetooth equipped you also have to:

Set up bluetooth pairing and a bluetooth printing queue according to the directions for your Mac OS (different for leopard and snow leopard).

Follow directions for printing via bluetooth in the manual (note the queue for printing via bluetooth is normally "PocketJet Bluetooth" where the queue for printing via USB cable is "Brother PocketJet Plus with Bluetooth"

I do not know if this driver is also Lion compatible...it definitely works with Snow Leopard.

Sadly, it DOES NOT work with Lion. I have a Macbook Pro 13 (2011) with Snow Leopard and Pocketjet 3Plus (3.0.3) driver and bluetooth run fine. I just got a new 11" Macbook Air and am setting up for a 6 week trip, and just hit the wall with this same driver. If you download it, you see "PPC" in the file name - definitely doesn't work. My attempt shows that you can install and connect via USB and even print a test page, but when trying to print anything, it just gives an error. The Bluetooth setup utility won't load as it requires Rosetta. I will be calling Brother on Monday to suggest that there are many of us PocketJet 3 / 3 Plus users out here who would appreciate a driver update. I would recommend that you (who would benefit by it) do the same so that they feel a little pressure.

In the meanwhile, I will install bootcamp and install the printer for Windows. I don't print much while traveling, but always must have a printer available. I figure I can get by and hope that progress is made on a Lion compatible driver for the not-too-distant future.

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
I haven't updated (or downgraded as some would say) to Lion. but what I have found out by reading this forum is:

DON'T update to Lion if:

1. You use Spaces and/or Expose extensively. I currently use 9 spaces and the rigid grid method of Leopard and Snow Leopard makes it easier and faster to move between Spaces.

2. You have a second monitor and commonly do things like watch a video in 1 monitor in full-screen mode while continuing to do other thing like surf the net on the other one. Lion's version of full-screen makes the second monitor useless since full-screen app creates its own space without a desktop behind it.

These are the 2 things that currently I've found that will keep me from updating to lion. Hopefully Apple will give the option of Spaces and Expose as it is in SL along with Mission Control, for those that like it, and return full-screen mode as it is in SL in a future update. When they do this I will update assuming I haven't found other problems.

Greg M

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Sadly, it DOES NOT work with Lion. I have a Macbook Pro 13 (2011) with Snow Leopard and Pocketjet 3Plus (3.0.3) driver and bluetooth run fine. I just got a new 11" Macbook Air and am setting up for a 6 week trip, and just hit the wall with this same driver. If you download it, you see "PPC" in the file name - definitely doesn't work. My attempt shows that you can install and connect via USB and even print a test page, but when trying to print anything, it just gives an error. The Bluetooth setup utility won't load as it requires Rosetta. I will be calling Brother on Monday to suggest that there are many of us PocketJet 3 / 3 Plus users out here who would appreciate a driver update. I would recommend that you (who would benefit by it) do the same so that they feel a little pressure.

In the meanwhile, I will install bootcamp and install the printer for Windows. I don't print much while traveling, but always must have a printer available. I figure I can get by and hope that progress is made on a Lion compatible driver for the not-too-distant future.

Try the pocketjet 6 driver. I installed the 6 plus driver on my son's updated MBP and my pocketjet 3 plus seemed to work perfectly fine with that driver on Lion.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Businesses won't like the forced upgrades that come with dealing with Apple. Many businesses use the same software for a long time between upgrades and Apple has proven several times over the last decade that they don't care about what their business decisions will cost their customers.

What you need to come to terms with is that Apple doesn't give a fig about "the corporate world" (i.e. Big Business), and they haven't for years. Xserve, Xserve RAID, Xsan...all gone or on the way out. I mean it sounds like you understand this, but why are you so angry about it? Apple doesn't even pretend to be interested. Sure, they'd like companies to buy Macs, if they decide they can live with them, they'll throw in a few basic bits like Exchange support, but in general they're not going to cater to large corporations and lose focus on their target customer. A lot of small businesses do use Macs, but it's mostly about marketing to the individual now. And if the individual likes her Mac or iPad enough at home, she'll pester her company to use and support them.

Anecdotally, though, some big businesses are at least accepting Macs anyway. I work at a Fortune 500 company that uses both Macs and PCs, 7 years ago at least 95% of employees asked for and were using PCs, Macs were extremely rare to see. Today I'd estimate it at about 65% Macs and 35% PCs. Of course we're lucky because we individually get a choice, at places where you have a few people controlling the choice, it might be all PC because it's still considered the safe choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.