To install MS Office or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kat.hayes, Feb 24, 2014.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

I just got a new MBP that shipped with Keynote (I will never touch PowerPoint again), Pages (not too into it so far) and Numbers (also not too into it), though I have not given each enough of a fair chance.

I have had MS Office on previous Macs as well as other Open Office applications, though it has been many years, and things obviously change.

Just curious to hear your thoughts on installing Office just for Word and Excel vs. using Pages and Numbers OR Google Docs or some Open Office application? I'm a light Excel and Word user.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would say that is the key right there... if you are a light user you will be fine with Pages/Numbers or Open Office*.

The only caveat IMO is if you are going to be sharing documents back and forth with other MS Office users, you will be better off just biting the bullet and getting Office. Although Pages and Numbers can export/import Office format files, if you are doing this often it is a real hassle.

*Take a look at LibreOffice for a free office suite. Development of Open Office is pretty much dead.

3. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

As Weaselboy said, you kind of answered the question.

I will add it depends what you do with the excel or word files. If you share them with others who need to edit, then MS Office would be your best bet. I find that Pages 5 does a mediorce job of converting to DOCX.

If they are used only by you or if you share them without editing then stick with Pages or Numbers. To share them all you have to do is export as a PDF.

I have both but I use Pages only for creating brochures.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Unless you need 100% compatibility and/or pro-features, iWork or LibreOffice will most likely do you fine.

5. RMXO macrumors 6502a

6. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I switched to Google Docs / Slides / Sheets. Best thing I've ever done.

7. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

For me it's always been about either the need for advanced features of Office (not real common) or how much work I need to do that involves other people who use Office (very common).

Essentially I can get away from Office fairly easily myself except there are just so many people I collaborate with that use Office (like the staff at the company where I work)

8. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Google's services are completely useless since Apple gives a free desktop office suite on the Mac. Google Docs requires you to be online to use it.

The new Pages is actually very good and I would easily say it's better and faster than the old Pages '09. Numbers just got a big update to be more compatible with MS Office.

@OP, since Apple's office suite is free you should try out Pages and Numbers and see how well it infuses with MS Office. I just hate installing MS Office unless it's absolutely necessary and it's no longer that way. The world used to be forced into using MS Office. The way businesses transfer office docs today makes it much easier for people to choose the suite they prefer. Apple will support iWork much better than Microsoft will support Mac Office.