To install Windows server 2008 r2 in MBP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by guna63, Aug 24, 2014.

1. guna63 macrumors newbie

I have little problem with this. The networking does not work.

I have installed Windows server 2008 r2 in my MBP 2014. This involve converting 'install.esd' to 'install.wim' and integrating drivers derived from respective Boot camp version, and convert back to 'install.esd' and replace in the bootable USB - sources folder. Then installation was cool. The missing drivers can be installed from Boot camp drivers folder. After all these, the networking does not work. I noticed that the driver got installed, and the driver for 'intel (R) 8 series lpc controller' is not installed. Already, I integrated this driver with 'install.esd'. As I noticed from release notes, the driver should be installed prior to OS installation for 'Windows Server 2008 r2'. I tried this while installing. I could not succeed. Could any one share their experience?

2. crazycanucks macrumors regular

Just gotta ask, why are you installing Server 2008 on a Laptop?

3. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I am with the previous poster why are you installing this on a laptop hardware? The easy easy way is to install some software to make a VM of 2008 R2. If you are just trying to learn 2008 R2 and tinker with it, this is a far better deal. Since it is in a virtual environment you can make VM of client boxes, and a test domain etc.

4. guna63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Installing Windows server 2008 r2 -resolved.

I succeeded. I enabled Wi-Fi through server manager. It got installed, and now every thing works.
    steps:
    - convert install.esd to install.wim
    - integrate Mac drivers with install.wim
    - convert install.wim to install.esd
    = install windows server 2008
    - enable the features through Server manager
    - it works fine (everything)