To invisishield or not to invisishield?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Betizzle, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Betizzle macrumors newbie

I currently have a Agent 18 hard case on my 3G iphone but have been curious about putting the invisishield on it. So I'm just wondering how many of you have put the invisishield on your phone and what has been your experience with it? Thanks!

2. S Brake macrumors regular

I put them on all my electronics because they work well, look good and have a great warranty. I replaced the shield I had on my pearl just before I sold it and the phone was still in perfect condition.

3. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Hi,
    I've just fitted it to my iPhone 3G and I'm pretty happy with it on the whole. There is a slight reduction in visibility of the display but nothing major and the different feel of the phone takes a bit of getting used to but it is pretty close to the claimed invisibility and seems to provide good protection.

I still don't put my phone in my pocket along with my car keys but I do feel as if my phone now has the protection it deserves without wrapping it in some sort of ugly silicon condom! :p

Cheers,
    Craig.

4. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

I recommended it! It's fun to take out your keys and scratch your phone in front of friends.

Hah, plus at 25.00 and a lifetime warranty, the better question is.. why not?

5. calvy macrumors 65816

I don't recommend it. I hate the plastic feel. I had Inivisble shield on my first gen iphone, and I took it off after a few weeks. The screen protector was not completely clear, and the edges of the body shield collected dust in my pocket and start peeling up. I took it off and threw it away.

I just got a Crystal screen from Power Custom or something like that from the apple store, it's a screen protector only, and I am thoroughly impressed. It looks and feels exactly like the naked screen.

6. Aurial macrumors 6502

Personally I think that the whole case and shield market is a big con to be honest. I've never put either on my phone, and 4 months on theirs not a scratch on it.

Putting cases or shields on your phone simply increases bulk and reduces visibility/screen quality.

Take a look at the iPhone Stress Test videos on youtube if you're worried. The iPhone, to its credit, is actually a lot more robust than you think it is. The screen for examply is a massive improvement over the old iPod screens where simply looking at it could scratch it.

I understand that some people like to have their phones in cases, say for ease of grip, but don't fall into the marketting trap of believing that you need to have one.

7. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I bought one, and took it off. The feel was terrible and I also got over the fact that it might get scratched. Who cares?? OCD people?

I have had it unprotected since september and it hasn't got a mark on it.

8. ShepUK macrumors member

I had a full-body invisible shield on my 3G for about a month, but tore it off in the end. There were two main reasons ...

Firstly, the front piece wraps over the top and bottom of the phone, crossing from the glass to the chrome bezel - creating a tiny plastic-covered void at the top and bottom of the phone, which you can't possibly squeeze the air out of ... looks ugly!

Secondly, the curved back of the 3G just doesn't work well with a skin. The corner cut-outs required to make a flat skin fit around a curved body don't look so good under close examination, and after a couple of weeks turn into real dirt traps.

(I should add, I've had an invisible shield attached to my ipod touch for a year, and been very happy with it - the flatter shape of the touch is *much* better suited to an invisible shield!)

After I took the original invisible shield off, I decided to use a front screen protector, and just leave the back naked. This time, I got a front skin from Best Skins Ever. The people who say they're made of exactly the same stuff as IS are absolutely right ... I can't tell the difference between the Best Skins Ever cover, and the devices I own that have in Invisible Shield on.... plus, the BSE skin was *much* better cut than the invisible shield .... the invisible shield had a small (around 1mm, maybe slightly smaller) gap around the home button and receiver holes, which was very obvious once in position. The BSE skin is *very* precisely cut - the lines fall into exactly the right place; you really can't tell there's a skin on there unless you catch the light from the right angle.

Plus, since letting the back of my phone go naked, I've noticed how much *nicer* it feels in my hand - much better than when I had an IS on there; the backplate material has a really good tactile feel. So, consider this one more vote for using a screen protector and naked backplate from me!

9. Peruvian macrumors regular

Peruvian

I had the invisishield, but like others said, i took it off after a few weeks..

Firstly, the corners on the back of the 3g just wouldnt sit right, as if the shield was not cut properly, then because of this, fluff from my pockets would get trapped in these places around the corners.. making my my white 3g look terrible..

Secondly, after a few weeks the actual shield started turning a kind of yellow colour.You can imagine what that must look like on the white...
    The discolouring happened on the front aswell... At first I thought it was this yellow screen problem, peeps were complaining about, but it was the shield..

Now i just got it naked, i use the case which came my ipod i bought years ago, it fits almost perfectly...

Hope that heps....
    P.....

10. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I agree with the above two posts. I took mine off in the end. Too much fluff, feels worse and looks scabby. Keep it raw.

11. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Me too. Hate the feel of them and happy to have it off. Besides, its glass, not plastic so it should and has held up.

12. synagence macrumors 6502a

I've had a PowerSupport Crystal film on for ages now and i don't even notice its there .... best one i've had (and i've tried most of the popular ones)

13. big_malk macrumors 6502a

I used one on my original iPhone, took that back off cause it just looked silly, but left the screen protector on. When I got my 3G I realised how much nicer the feel of the screen is when it's 'naked' - now I wouldn't even consider putting one on my 3G!

I've been using it unprotected for months, as long as your not stupid with it it'll be fine. I've dropped my 3G onto concrete a couple of times (yes, I know, stupid) and you can barely notice the scratches on the plastic even with close examination, and the screen is still perfect.

I won't bother!

14. dogbiskit2 macrumors member

I've been an advocate of these full body shields for a while. I had one on my ipod mini and my Touch and it did wonders for when I ended up selling them on ebay - they looked almost brand new. So, when I got my 3g, I got one immediately and put it on. Unfortunately, like a lot of others, because of the curved back, the corners would never stick all the way down and the edges seemed to catch way more lint than on my ipods (I tried both the Invisible Shield and a Best Skins Ever). So, I ended up taking if off and now I just have the Incipio Feather on the back with a Power Support shield. I'm happy now. :)

15. JLatte macrumors 6502

One thing I noticed: on my old 1st gen phone I had an invisible shield and it covered the screen as well. It was great, and I liked how it was a minimalist cover, however over time the front screen started turning a slight yellowish color after about a year. In turn this ended up messing up the sensor that would know when it was against my head or not. This would make my phone flash on and off during phone calls, kind of annoying when I needed to hang up, or go to speaker, etc. When I removed the skin on the face of the phone, all the problems immediately went away.

Moral is, if you do get a cover for the phone, at least change the screen protector once every 4-6 months just to make sure it doesn't get the yellow tinted color.

16. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm with the majority here. I had an IS on my first gen for about two months and ended up taking it off because of the discoloration and the catching of lint in the corners.

After taking it off I realised how great the screen feels with no cover. I'll never skin it again.