to iPhone or not to iPhone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by caughtinfire, Nov 8, 2011.

1. caughtinfire, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

caughtinfire macrumors member

caughtinfire

I have something of a dilemma. Last year I picked up my very first smartphone, a Samsung Galaxy S with Android. I've been quite happy with it for the most part, but there are several quirks (like the crap battery life and the GPS perpetually thinking I'm five blocks or so from my actual location). I also have an Android tablet I mostly use as an e-reader, but my main computer is a MacBook Pro. I've been thinking about getting a factory unlocked iPhone 4S, but I have to be able to use it on T-Mobile. I found the fabulous thread dontwalkhand made for setting it up and am aware that it'd be limited to Edge speeds. I mostly use my phone for gmail and work email on exchange, twitter, text messaging and photo messaging, occasional internet usage (but am usually somewhere I can get wifi), pulling up bus schedules, tethering to test VPN for people, and as an e-reader. I'd really like to be able to synch with iTunes (easily) and Siri looks like it could be useful. My questions are mostly: Just how slow is 'slow' for what I'd be doing, and what all functionality would I be losing, other than visual voicemail and swype? Is this a really dumb idea or would it be worth it?

And for those in the peanut gallery that I know will suggest it, switching carriers is not an option; I am not about to give up my 2000 minute/unlimited data for $10/mo employee plan. ;)

Thanks for any info or tips!

2. hafr macrumors 68030

Can you set your phone to only use the GSM net so that you can "try out" what it's like to only have EDGE?

3. caughtinfire thread starter macrumors member

caughtinfire

I hadn't thought about trying that. There is an option to change it to that, so I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion!