To jailbreak my iphone for or not, that is the question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by todd03blown, Mar 6, 2011.

1. todd03blown macrumors member

Folks - I have had my iphone 4 since June of 2010 and have spent most of the day reading through this forum on JB. For a new person this JB topic is certainly overwhelming at least to me. Not even sure where to start but it seems the Greenpois0n is the easiest of the JB options.

I am looking to get a new iPad2 on the 11th when they are released and wondering if JB my iphone 4 would cause any issues.

If someone has a post discussing the reasons to or not to JB that would be helpful also.

I found this one link that gives good info http://www.iphone4jailbreak.org/15-reasons-to-jailbreak-your-iphone-4.html.

Just not sure I want to venture down this path and have to troubleshoot lots of issues etc. I don't mind putting in the needed time to accomplish this but being a virgin and truly knowing nothing makes me nervous.

2. Big D 51, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2011

Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

Yes, do it. If you end up not liking it, just restore back. The biggest thing I like about my phone now is lock info. Yes, the added theme looks nice too but I really enjoy lock info.

3. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

I would do it.

The biggest drawback I can think of is that when the OS is updated, you have to wait a little longer for it become jailbroken, or whatever it's called.

4. GGMagic macrumors newbie

GGMagic

With Jailbreaking you really don't have much to worry about. If you encounter any issues or want to take your phone in to Apple for service you can simply restore your phone through iTunes and the Jailbreak will never be seen.

Just make sure to sync your phone before Jailbreaking, back up your data and you'll be fine.

5. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Yes.

This forum provides TONS of great information. Why not spend time reading here and learning?

6. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

is there a way your iphone 4 can be bricked during jailbreak?

7. GGMagic macrumors newbie

GGMagic

I'm not well versed on the level of risk of bricking your phone during a Jailbreak, that said, from what I've read and the experience I've Jailbroken numerous iPhones & iPod touches and the most that I've ever had to do is a complete restore through iTunes. It's a bit of a nuisance, but nothing that can't be fixed.

That said, there is of course always some risk you take when trying to modify software on your device. I know it sounds like a cliche disclaimer, but things can potentially go wrong so make sure to backup your data.

I look at it this way: Think of jailbreaking like adding or modifying a car with a new part or accessory that is detachable and doesn't do anything drastic to the car itself. If need be, you can always remove the third party accessory and revert back to the original.

8. todd03blown thread starter macrumors member

I have been reading today, close to 8hrs. I have learned a ton already but felt somewhat overwhelmed to be honest. I have now succesfully JB my phone. Cool stuff!

9. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Thanks for saying lockinfo. I just found my new favorite JB app.

10. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

11. is300guy macrumors regular

Believe me, if it wasn't for JB, I would have NEVER gotten the iPhone, as a matter of fact, I almost ditched it cause it was too plain at first but once I discovered JB, it was "day and night." I started JB when the first iPhone (2G) came out and that JB at that time was MUCH harder compared to today's JB, which is much more of a convenience. I've gotten every generation of iPhones and have been enjoying them so far and can't wait for the next generation! Happy JBing!

12. 24usedtorock macrumors regular

GP is a smooth jailbreak. It's basically plug-n-play, you're only asked to hold the reset/home button through the quick process. Then just follow the onscreen prompts when setting Cydia up.

I've got my iPhone 4 looking like the desktop of my Mac, using a free iPhone 4 HD theme (CarbonX) and nice wallpaper. Plus, there's a crapload of tweaks you can make.

13. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

No. Brick means to render unusable permanently. The worst that'll happen is that you'll lose your jb. Unless your hardware is screwed up, you will always be able to DFU.
    However, if you're not willing to read the basics of jb and put in the hours reading these forums, I don't suggest you jb. It's obvious that you're somewhat lazy; if you had done your research, you would've known the answer to this question.

14. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

With each successive iPhone release, Apple introduces things the jailbreak community has been using for years, so you can almost predict what the next iPhone will have by looking at what's most popular among the jailbreakers.

That's why I expect themes and a decent lock-info app next time around.

15. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

So whats all this stuff I read about losing/perserving your baseland and ssh blobs and stuff? Does that have anything to do with jailbreaking or is that just unlocking?

16. MT0227 macrumors 6502

Great..now what you want to do is get the MyWi app. This turns you iP4 into a hotspot for just the cost if the app, no monthly re-occuring fees. You can conntect/tether your iPad2 to your iP4 and surf away.

17. dgstan macrumors 6502a

You're only concerned about the baseband if you ever plan on unlocking. If you are fine with AT&T, it's a non-issue.

The blobs are important to save. They will allow you to restore older versions of the OS. For example, my blobs are saved back to 4.0. I can install any version of iOS back to 4.0. People without theirs saved can only install the latest version of the OS.

18. todd03blown thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! That is on my list to get that installed and setup this week on preparation for the iPad2 to be purchased!

19. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Okay thanks for the clarification. I'm jailbroken on 4.2.1 on a Verizon iPhone. I assume if All I do is jailbreak, restore to install the new iOS, then jailbreak again i'll never have to deal with unlocking, baseland, or blobs.

20. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Blobs are still important. This allows you to downgrade your iOS or stay at a particular iOS.

21. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I'm in the same boat as the OP... I want to jailbreak my AT&T iPhone 4 in preparation for my upcoming iPad 2 purchase, so I can tether. I've always been too nervous in the past to jailbreak my iPhone (to be honest) but now I'm ready to do it. Yeah! :)

Just a couple of questions:

1. What's the absolute easiest jailbreak method these days? (got a link?)

2. What's best for tethering, MyWi or TetherMe? (and what are the differences between the two?)

Thanks!

22. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Did you read any of the posts in this thread? Click

Did you read any of the threads on the first page of this forum? Click

23. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Actually, yes -- I did! :) But bouncing around from thread to thread (and link to link) while on an iPhone while in bed is a bit tedious... and I wanted to make sure I had the latest info before attempting to jailbreak, which I'll be doing this morning.

Thanks for your help...

24. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

So is answering the same question over and over again.