to jailbreak or not to jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by steveruv, May 26, 2008.

1. steveruv macrumors newbie

ok, so ive been pondering whether or not to jailbreak my 32gb touch, knowing I can always restore it, etc, BUT...for people who have hacked it, will you restore it after the new Apple approved Installer programs come out or should I just stop procrastinating and jailbreak it and enjoy all the benefits of a hacked touch.

thanks peeps!

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

well the choice would be yours to jailbreak or not, the new firmware 2.0 has been re-written after it was proven to be jailbrakeable so it could be a little while before we see a proper jailbreak for it.

for 1.1.4 there are a few options, ziphone for a quick 2 min jailbreak, iLiberty+ for jailbreaking and adding apps whilst jailbreaking and winpwn (windows)/pwnage tool (mac) which are just programs to make a customfirmware to be used to restore with in iTunes, after patching device in prep for new firmware.

3. steveruv thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the response

i know there is so much to do with a jailbroken touch, but do you think there will be programs when Installer from Apple comes out that is going to be comparable to 3rd party programs when jailbroken. for example, reading wikipedia on the go, minus the wi-fi, ebooks, etc...would apple do such a thing or am i better off and jailbreaking it. i know of the programs such as ziphone and pwnage to use, but all these 3rd party apps on a hacked touch seem like it wont even compare still after the 2.0 update. ill prob hack it later this week but just needed some input.

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

to be fair really its hard to say what will happen when 2.0 is released. They re-wrote the coding for the firmware from img2 to img3 (dont ask me lol) but I know that this new coding kinda throws the winpwn/pwnage tool out the window for the latest betas and 2.0 release.

5. aquabella macrumors newbie

Still confused

I am still trying to decide if I should jailbreak.

Is it likely that many people will not upgrade to 2.0, so they can continue with their current version and all the existing 3rd party stuff they can already get?

Is this a question that won't be answerable until 2.0 actually comes out?

I just don't want to spend a lot of time downloading a bunch of applications, learning them and liking them, only to upgrade to 2.0 and not be able to have them.

?????
    Thanks

6. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

yes 2.0 has been jailbroken but theres no point to jailbreaking it as well theres no installer and as far as I know none of the apps has been ported to work with it. Plus as stated Apple have re-coded the firmware so the latest 2.0 firmware CANNOT be jailbroken.

and why would we donate money to you? what have you done to deem donation worthy besdies link to another forum?

8. AConn macrumors newbie

^I believe it is just a matter of time until 2.0(official) is hacked. I don't believe they created an unhackable software.

9. JAT macrumors 603

Well, obviously.

The answer to all these questions is also the answer to this question: Will you do/play/read/use something, right now, that you can only get by jailbreaking your iPod?

10. boz0 macrumors regular

We already know that Apple doesn't want you to have access to the underlying system. Though we don't know for sure, it's unlikely we'll get stuff like openssh or an AFP server w/o jailbreaking.

At any rate, I'm greatly enjoying my jailbroken ipod, I'll decide whether or not to restore a vanilla 2.0 after it's out and I've seen what gets ported with the official SDK.

And, for the OP, considering the time and effort involved in jailbreaking your device, you should at least give it a try, that way you can compare with 2.0 when it comes out.

11. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

oh I know that like I was just sayin the current 2.0 methods currently only work upto build 240d

12. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

Really? You believe the hacked BETA will be the same as the released 2.0. Good Lord...

OP you can take the time and effort to jailbreak the thing now and toy with it until 2.0 is released. You may find that you don't even care about 2.0 or you will just wait for a 2.0 hack, then you can upgrade and rehack the thing. But if you are considering jailbreaking the thing, I think boz0 is right, take the effort now, get used to it, that way you'll be familiar with it when all the new stuff comes around.

13. boz0 macrumors regular

It won't be the same, but I think it's safe to assume it'll be broken in a very short time :cool:

14. qwerty12345 macrumors newbie

hack it

man, i just got my new ipod touch 32 GB, and i had the same question, jailbroke or not, but i decided to jailbroke, and it was definitive the best thing, because, you can customize anything!!! if you do it correctly, youll not have ANY problem at all, ill just wait till 2.0 get hacked, because even if the apple update will allow 3rd party apps, i don't think they are going to get so customizables as some of the jailbroke apps, i highly recommend you to do it and enjoy, i used ziphone on macbook pro.

15. chapel321 macrumors member

I just Jailbroke my 16g iPod Touch 1.1.4 and it's like getting a new toy!! I've had it for a good while but was a little scared to mess with it. I highly suggest it!! Many useful FREE apps and games are available! I used Ziphone and had no trouble.:apple:

16. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Ziphone is really the way to go - I was on the fence about jailbreaking my iPod Touch, and after using Ziphone's utility I am convinced I should have done this along time ago!

MacDann

17. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I just jailbroke my 16GB this afternoon. I was a little worried about the possibility of screwing it up. Turns out to be the best decision I made next to actually purchasing my iPod Touch. I used ZiPhone.

I installed Touchpad and I'm gonna use it to control my Keynote presentations!! The NES emulator is pretty neat as well.

I'll probably leave it like this until 2.0 has been hacked for a few months :)

Cheers,
    :):apple:

18. SimplyAmazing macrumors newbie

Waiting to see what can be done with a hacked 2.0.

i only bought my touch to Jailbreak it, i researched it for a couple weeks before i put out the money, but exactly 45 minutes after purchasing my 32gb i jailbroke it and installed what i needed. Un-Jail broken, it's a great M.I.D., but anywhere there is WiFi Access, i'm sure there is means of accessing your email/google, so to be blunt, it's rather useless with Factory Firmware.

And as far as 2.0 goes, It will definitely be Jailbroken/Hacked, very very quickly after it's final release, and as Far as 2.0 goes as Factory Firmware, i feel the same about it as i did before, Granted, they implemented a few new, interesting options and tweaks, but it can all be done on 1.1.4 already with 3rd party developments, and if it can't; It will be soon.

This is my own personal thoughts on the subject, and the usage i get out of my touch, which is a lot, and there are a few 3rd Party Apps, that if i couldn't use, i would just wipe my ass with my Pod and throw it in the toilet.