To jailbreak or not to jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by 68.jpbl, Jul 29, 2009.

1. 68.jpbl macrumors newbie

I'm getting a 2G Touch and I need some advice. Because of the risks/instability that jailbreaking can cause I'm unsure as to whether I should bother with it. How common are these problems and how easy is it to fix them? Are there any apps that really make it worth the risk?

2. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Almost all problems can be fixed via a restore. Just use apps in cydia that other people use like winterboard etc dont get betas until tested. What are you looking for in a jailbreak?

3. 68.jpbl thread starter macrumors newbie

Other than portable music and video my main reason for getting a Touch is so I can have a portable wi-fi device. I'm going travelling soon and I thought it would be useful to be able to get online so I can book accommodation and make travel arrangements. I'm not too interested in games but having access to maps and translators would be very useful. One of my main concerns with jailbreaking is that my iPod will run into problems whilst I'm travelling and I'll be unable to fix it as I won't have access to a computer.

4. iphonefreakz macrumors member

iphonefreakz

If u are planning to use the iPhone just as a portable wi-fi device i would not jailbreak it. What benefits would u get when u jailbreak the iPod, if u only use it for wi-fi, music and video?

5. 68.jpbl thread starter macrumors newbie

So are most people jailbreaking to run games and emulators?

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I do it so I can unlock my phone. I have used emulators, but I think the novelty wears off pretty quickly.

7. 68.jpbl thread starter macrumors newbie

So there are no must have apps for a jailbroken iPod?

8. simplebeep macrumors member

simplebeep

In my opinion, with the advent of the App(lication) Store, you can get pretty much everything you need without jailbreaking. Plus, you get stability, which is a very Appley thing to have.

They call it an app store, but there's tons of great free stuff (for instance, Cube Runner).

9. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

The only thing that would get me to jailbreak is free tethering on my iphone (with o2 in UK).

Sucks that I could take my SIM card out and put it in either of my old phones and have tethering, but not in my iphone - even tho it's no faster than my old phones on download.

Not sure if it's possible anyway even with JB, as I have the 1st generation iphone.

10. dazey macrumors 6502

My jailbreak killer applications:
    Backgrounder - Multitasking, allows you to keep applications running as long as RAM allows. Fine on 3Gs, limited on 3G. I suspect we will see apple multitasking in version 4.0 and it will only support 3GS and the successor but that is pure speculation

Offlinemaps- Bring all your maps of foreign countries with you, googlemaps or other types and all work in the maps application

PDAnet for tethering

Unlocking

SBsettings

Rotation inhibitor (lets me stop it rotating which is good if putting it in a motorbike tank bag running a maps application as otherwise the maps keep spinning about)

Mobile terminal

11. Austin2048 macrumors 6502

Austin2048

jailbreak jailbreak jailbreak JAILBREAK JAILBREAK!!!! lol jailbreak it, you have NOTHING to lose and lots to gain ;)