To Jailbreak or Not

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by duffsrp, Nov 30, 2011.

1. duffsrp macrumors member

I'm running an iPhone4 at 5.0 BB 1.59 preserved using Redsn0w. I waited to update to 5.0 until the last minute when apple released 5.0.1. I've always jailbroken my phone and have run an unlock on many/ all previous iPhones starting with my 4GB gen1. I like to have the option to unlock when I travel. Not having a JB phone is kind of bugging me.
    So my question is how reliable is the tethered JB? I've never had a tethered JB. Is it worth it for those that travel frequently on planes. I don't want to get to where I'm going and not be able to use my phone or email until I get to my hotel to reboot tethered. I know there's the semi-tether available. Let me hear from those that are Jailbroken, please.
    Thanks to those that reply and especially to the iPhone Dev Team and all those involved in the 5.x jailbreak in advance. And thanks for all the previous JB's.

2. Sine Qua Non macrumors member

How often do you turn off or completely reboot your phone? That's how often you'll have to boot tethered to get it back 100%. For me, the answer is virtually never. So, I have no real problem with a tethered jailbreak, especially with SemiTether installed.

Use airplane mode rather than turning the phone completely off during air travel.

3. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

Semi tether is great.. You cant use stock mail app.. But can use gmail app from app store if I gmail user..

4. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

Even I had my apprehensions when I jailbroken yesterday.. But m glad I did.. Semi tether made my life so much easy..

Like you, even I have always been untethered jailbroken.. So thought a lot before taking the plunge.. :)

5. dgstan macrumors 6502a

One thing people don't mention regarding the tethered JB: You don't have to be at your home computer to reboot the phone. Any box with the small redsn0w executable will allow you to get your phone back up.

I bet you could walk into an Apple store, d/l the file and be back up and running before the genius batted an eye.

6. duffsrp thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the replies. I don't ever turn my phone off, except for this morning because I couldn't get the cell data to work for some reason. It sounds like it's pretty stable. And I travel with my laptop anyway so if I really had to I could boot tethered right in the airport.