To keep macbook, or to switch to Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gzillaration, Feb 1, 2010.

1. gzillaration macrumors member

Okay so I've had my macbook 13inch model, with the removeable battery (not that it even matters to me, but its not the newest model). now i use it for school every day taking it to class for notes and whatnot. now im graduating in may and was thinking about just getting a mini and hooking it up to my 30 inch tv rather than a monitor. now i wont be able to lay in bed anymore and surf the web, but id have a desktop always hooked up to a monitor so i can take more use of a huge screen rather then a tiny one for just taking notes on.

now should i just keep my macbook and keep it docked up to my tv, and at least i can take it mobile whenever i want to. considering if i sold this model, id be right about the price of the mini, which is the same specs as mine since ive upgraded to 4gb so it would be equivilent to keep this pretty much. maybe ill just upgrade the hdd to a solid state and get an external for all my files id use when docked and get a nice keyboard and mouse.

was anyone else in this delimma? i want to just keep it docked, but if i ever go on a trip or anything, i dont get to bring my laptop and my iphone is NOT suitable for me for more then 10 minutes of use.

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Sounds like you really don't need any more capability than you have in your Macbook, so buy a keyboard and mouse and hook it up to your TV. Since you would have to buy those any way for the Mini, you've just saved yourself the cost of a Mini.

3. seb-opp macrumors 6502

Id keep the macbook and dock it, at least to start with and see if you could live with a desktop

4. gzillaration thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys, thats what i was figuring. it would cost the same price pretty much and be almost exact same thing, but my macbook could be mobile if i need it to be.

so i guess ill stick with this and get an SSD down the road.

should i be worried by applecare expired this month? i cant extend the warranty or anything can i since i wasnt planning on keeping this i didnt get the 3 yr warranty.

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

6. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

I'd stick with the macbook as well. I have a 13" MBP that I have connected to the 24" Apple cinema display and I love it! I use a wireless keyboard and magic mouse and it's almost as though I'm using a 24" iMac half the time. When I'm traveling or just feel like getting out of my apartment, I simply disconnect a few plugs (power cord, mini display cable, and USB) and throw it in my bag and I'm off. Much more versatile than just having a desktop if you ask me :cool:

7. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Once you pass that 1-year anniversary, you're SOL for extending AC. I think that you can pick up a squaretrade or other 3rd party warranty, tho', if you're feeling nervous.

8. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Keep the MB; you can setup a nice desktop configuration while keeping portability.

Habitus :apple: