To keep my optical drive... or to replace it...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CW Jones, Aug 30, 2010.

?

What did you do?

1. Keep the factory HDD

16.7%
  2. Replace the optical drive with a SSD

33.3%
  3. Replace the factory HDD with a SSD and leave the optical drive

50.0%
  1. CW Jones macrumors 6502

I was just wondering how many people replaced their optical drives with another HDD, or SSD?

I ask because I am debating replacing mine with a 60GB to boot from and run my apps from, purely for speed. I could then keep my 320GB, and 2TB external for even more space. Also anyone know if/when prices should drop on SSD's? I would love to get a 256GB+ and keep my optical drive... I am just not too sure.

Thanks!

Also, after you vote... Advice on what I should do? I am very afraid of hard drive failure and losing all my pictures again. (old Dell laptop HDD went down and I lost about 10K+ images) Being an avid amateur photographer, that does weddings and special events... I don't want to lose anything. I have my 2TB external, but don't want that the ONLY place images are stored....

2. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

haha i upgraded my 160 5400 rpm to a 500 GB 5400 rpm, and it works pretty great, the SSD's are amazing but i am waiting till next fall, i have heard dozens of rumours about some big SSD coming that will make the current SSD's look slow and drop the current prices drastically, which is very very very exciting, so when they become affordable i am buying one as well =D but i will not get less then 500GB and i do not want to spend more then $200

3. CW Jones thread starter macrumors 6502

Only 6 voters so far? Come on guys and gals, I know your out there!