To Keep Or Not To Keep Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by omegasyn, Oct 18, 2008.

1. omegasyn macrumors regular

Here is my current situation with the mac pro. My initial plans were to the system as a monster workstation for coding (php), minor web-design, vmware, and other web related work using (transmute, textmate, coda, and etc..). But what I noticed is that I rarely breaking the 2-3GB barrier and the processor speed only goes so far for the current programs I use as I've never use any video or sound editing programs.

The dilemma is if I should keep this system due to it's stability and power (obivously) or sell it for $3000 cash (friend) and purchase a new MBP for portability and power for my current usage quota?

BTW, my mac pro setup is:
    8-core 2.8
    10GB Memory
    820GB HDD
    ACD 30'

I know this same topic has been hovering around this section for quite a while from confused Mac Pro owners but since the new MBP's launched, I wonder if I should take the risk of purchasing a MBP and receiving something defective.

2. Pili macrumors regular

No doubt the new mbp should be able to handle what you do but you have to ask yourself a few things:

-Is being portable that important to you? Do you always need all of your data with you?

-Are you going to miss having all the extra internal space? Having to connect peripherals all the time was my biggest pet peeve when I was on a laptop only.

Besides those things, you also have to consider that you will probably use the mac pro longer as your main machine because you can upgrade components, probably saving you some cash in the long run. If you upgrade fairly often though then that doesn't matter as much I suppose.

I guess those are the main things that I would ask myself if I was in your shoes.

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

If your selling the Mac Pro and the Cinema display your getting ripped off badly. Honestly if you really need the Portability then get the MacBook Pro otherwise stick with the Mac Pro. Who cares if you don't use much of the power. I doubt most people use that much anyways.

4. webraider macrumors member

Maybe an iPhone or iPod Touch?

Maybe you could keep the MacPro and get an iPod touch or iPhone. You can browse the internet on those and upload your media to them and have them with you. You can also use a text program and sync it with the Mac... I hear Microsoft is working on Office plug-ins for it. Maybe that would be the perfect mix for you.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

OMG, your friend is getting all that for $3K? You're either really nice or.......can I be your friend?

6. omegasyn thread starter macrumors regular

LOL, the sale only include the system and not the monitor. Appreciate all the opinions I've received so far!

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

If you really need/want portability, then sell your Mac Pro and go for the MacBook Pro. But if you are fine having a desktop, I would personally keep the Mac Pro.

I know that the Mac Pro is most likely overkill for your needs now, but it is far more "future proof" than the MacBook Pro is. :)

8. omegasyn thread starter macrumors regular

After some thought, I might as well keep this Mac Pro and wait for the new revision of the MBA when I need portability.

9. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

In the end, you can never have too much power when it comes to computers.

I had the same thoughts running through my head, I have an entire Mac Pro setup, decked out terabytes...I'm thinking it was way too much for me.

What did I do? I bought a used PowerBook and every thing is good now. Mac Pro still does its beastly duties and PowerBook does the light work.

I'd check out the refurbished MBP/MBA's, really good prices.

10. ecompuplus macrumors newbie