To keep the MacBook Pro or not

xxray

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
Almost 2 years ago, I decided to get a Dell XPS 15" even though I really wanted a MBP. The value-per-performance was much greater (literally $1000 difference for the same specs). It served me well, but I've still longed for a MBP ever since. I grew up using macOS, Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro X, and I have previous purchases of Affinity Photo and Affinity Design too. All my other devices are Apple products too, so I really love the integration of the ecosystem.

I pulled the trigger on a refurbished 15" MBP last week since the price difference is $300-$400 compared to new, and that made the pill a bit easier to swallow. I thought getting the device would help me make a decision as far as if I really want to keep it, but I still can't decide if I should or not. Here are my thoughts:

For Keeping the Mac:
  • Significant performance increase (4-core vs 6-core)
  • Screen is stunning
  • Speakers blow me away
  • macOS is my home. I seem to be more productive, more creative, and more empowered by it
  • FCPX, Logic Pro X, and Affinity - I've tried Windows alternatives and the workflow just isn't comparable for me
  • Ecosystem integration - iMessage, AirDrop, Handoff, iOS apps linking with macOS apps
  • Build quality is gorgeous and high quality
  • I actually prefer the keyboard over any other keyboard I've ever used
Against Keeping the Mac:
  • The MBP is expensive, even with the refurbished discount. I'd still be spending $1500-$1700 after I sell my XPS.
  • My XPS still performs like the day I got it.
  • I'm a college student who works a part-time, low-paying job. Spending this kind of money on a laptop when I already have one that works great feels stupid.
Please help me make a decision. I absolutely love the MacBook Pro, and I know I'm still going to long for one and switch back to one eventually if I return it. I feel much happier and empowered with it than with my XPS. However, looking at my bank account hurts. If you were in my shoes, would you force yourself to stay with the XPS for a few more years and put off spending the money on a MacBook Pro until you needed it, or would you stay with the MBP that serves your needs better, even if it hurts your wallet now?

Vordaz

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
Miami, FL
I agree with Platocplx, I think you should return it just because you already have a laptop that is doing everything that you need it to do and saving money at the same time. MBP are always going to be there, once you have more income coming in and it doesn’t hurt your bank account as much you should definitely get one if you still want one by that time. Unless you can snag a killer deal coming up on Black Friday/Cyber Monday with the specs you’re looking for :) but in the end remember it’s your money and you’re the one making the final call. ;)

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I'm guessing you also bought a newer model that is prone to keyboard failures, speaker crackling, T2 kernel panics, etc. - the list of problems goes on with the new machines.

You could return it and buy a refurbished mid-2015 15" machine for $1699. Much easier on the wallet, no known issues. Should last a long time. Win-win.

Disclaimer: I ordered one this morning so I am biased, but I also got disgusted building a new 2018 model on Apple's site the way I would've wanted it to the tune of $4250. Wtf? That would be impossible to stomach if the computers were flawless, and just outright outrageous for a machine I know has problems, and I'm someone who has never had a problem spending a bit over $3k for a new MBP. Gotta draw a line somewhere.

Rockadile

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Hard to understand your financial situation.
You went with a Dell XPS due to cost but already have an iPad Pro & latest iPhone but than you bought the lastest MBP.

Maybe sell your older '10 iMac, return the '18 MBP, and get a refurb '16-'17 MBP?
Or use your iPad Pro for school & the iMac once home?

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2015
Almost 2 years ago, I decided to get a Dell XPS 15" even though I really wanted a MBP. The value-per-performance was much greater (literally $1000 difference for the same specs). It served me well, but I've still longed for a MBP ever since. I grew up using macOS, Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro X, and I have previous purchases of Affinity Photo and Affinity Design too. All my other devices are Apple products too, so I really love the integration of the ecosystem.

I pulled the trigger on a refurbished 15" MBP last week since the price difference is $300-$400 compared to new, and that made the pill a bit easier to swallow. I thought getting the device would help me make a decision as far as if I really want to keep it, but I still can't decide if I should or not. Here are my thoughts:

For Keeping the Mac:
  • Significant performance increase (4-core vs 6-core)
  • Screen is stunning
  • Speakers blow me away
  • macOS is my home. I seem to be more productive, more creative, and more empowered by it
  • FCPX, Logic Pro X, and Affinity - I've tried Windows alternatives and the workflow just isn't comparable for me
  • Ecosystem integration - iMessage, AirDrop, Handoff, iOS apps linking with macOS apps
  • Build quality is gorgeous and high quality
  • I actually prefer the keyboard over any other keyboard I've ever used
Against Keeping the Mac:
  • The MBP is expensive, even with the refurbished discount. I'd still be spending $1500-$1700 after I sell my XPS.
  • My XPS still performs like the day I got it.
  • I'm a college student who works a part-time, low-paying job. Spending this kind of money on a laptop when I already have one that works great feels stupid.
Please help me make a decision. I absolutely love the MacBook Pro, and I know I'm still going to long for one and switch back to one eventually if I return it. I feel much happier and empowered with it than with my XPS. However, looking at my bank account hurts. If you were in my shoes, would you force yourself to stay with the XPS for a few more years and put off spending the money on a MacBook Pro until you needed it, or would you stay with the MBP that serves your needs better, even if it hurts your wallet now?
Keep the MAC

Reactions: Macintoshrumors

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Keep the XPS, and return the MBP. It seems the little voice in your head is trying to tell you something for a reason. If you have unease at the purchase then listen that voice. you can always buy it later when conditions change.

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2016
Personally, no matter whether money is an issue or not I'd be uneasy keeping an expensive machine like the MBP without being fully convinced by my purchase. From what you say, it sounds like buying it was also a non-negligible financial commitment, so it might be wise to listen to your gut feelings this time. As others have said, you will always have the option to make the switch in the future, when the situation is more favorable.

Reactions: SDColorado

burgman

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2013
Life lesson, Look at the emotional attachment of feeling empowered and happy over what is a tool, then look at your financial situation and choose the right tool for the job. That’s how savvy professionals look at hardware purchases. If the MBP is the answer then keep it.

Macintoshrumors

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
I say keep it, you are going to mentally feel better and be more productive, which could lead to more money. Plus the mbp has a higher resale value down the line and should last you at least 5 years. Assuming they put the new keyboard on the refurb mbp. If it fails within the 1 yr warranty, it will be replaced with a newer one (the good one)

Reactions: 88Keys

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
I'd say return it until you can afford it... If keeping it will cause you to struggle financially then that added financial stress might cause problems with your education as well...

Reactions: Platocplx

Ma2k5

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2012
London
It is tricky because truthfully, had their been no fear over the keyboard, I probably would have dropped £4,000 on one of them by now. I look at that new version with the Vega Pro 20 and I do want to buy it, but then it comes to the issue of whether I want to deal with keyboard issues (I also don't like the TouchBar but that is another issue).

I'd only buy if you need it rather than want it.

xxray

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
Thank you all for the input. It's not that I can't afford it or that it will cause me to struggle financially, it's just the fact of seeing my bank account go down $2500 that I don't like. Either way, I'm going to return the device. If I'm spending this kind of money on a device, I shouldn't have any reservations about making the purchase, and I do have reservations obviously. The MBP is great, but I think I'd have greater peace of mind and happiness with the $2500 back in my bank account. Thanks again for all the input.

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
what Ferrari did Magdumb PI drive (no not that magdumb, the older one!), both right?
What Ferrari did Magdum PI actually own? He probably owned a Ford Maverick at the time of the original series. The guest house where he lived, the Ferrari 308 GTS, everything probably down to his underwear belonged to Robin Masters. :)

phunigai

Suspended
Nov 12, 2018
What Ferrari did Magdum PI actually own? He probably owned a Ford Maverick at the time of the original series. The guest house where he lived, the Ferrari 308 GTS, everything probably down to his underwear belonged to Robin Masters. :)
drive,drive,drive not own

Never mind

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
Same here OP. Should have kept my MacBook Pro 2015 but sold it. I wanted the MacBook Pro 2018, however the keyboard, the overpriced notebook came into consideration, so for myself, I looked at the Lenovo X-1 Extreme 15 inch holiday special out the door was $ 2,010.00 including tax. With the i7 8750H, 16 gb memory, 4K Screen, 5.0 bluetooth, DDR-4, 1050ti graphics, plus SD Card reader. Don’t like dongles very much and the mere fact that it doesn’t have an SD card reader or DDR-4 memory for the Macbook, better keyboard on the Lenovo, I’m going to give this some serious thought.

Last edited:

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
macOS is my home. I seem to be more productive, more creative, and more empowered by it

IMO this is the most important point. I use Mac OS, Windows 10, iOS and Android. I'm a big OS cheater, but don't really favor any paticular one, as they all have their strong points and weknesses. If you can't stand Windows and you're more productive on Mac, then stick to Apple, because you'll always be misrable with Windows. I won't even recomend a Linux distro, just because of it's lackluster ecosystem compared to apple and microsoft.

Ploki

macrumors 68040
Jan 21, 2008
If i regret one thing about the 2018 i9 i bought is that i didnt return it.

been 5 days since it was put to service and wasnt even diagnosed yet. Apple doesnt care.

I have a 5000€ machine that right now i used more for performing dumps for apple and having it on service than for actual work.

To reply to this I borrowed my old 2012 i have to my girlfriend - booted from the same sytem (via external drive) and ironically, when opening exact same project in Sketchup 2018 on *exact same system i booted from the i9 a week ago* and the fans dont even spin-up - while they went crazy on the 2018.

If it passes the diagnostics on service i'm going to try to sell it - eat 1000€ i'm going to lose on it and buy something else, and its not going to be a new computer from apple.

If you buy it - test out EVERYTHING that can possibly go wrong with these models - stress test cooling, audio, keyboard, kernel panics - EVERYTHING.

Reactions: SDColorado

phunigai

Suspended
Nov 12, 2018
Apple doesnt care.

EVERYTHING.
that is a shame, too bad all over-rated things don't care. My 2012 OSX runs much better than 2015 but i need that 2015 system to sync with an 2017 ipad or i cannot finish this project i have been working on for years. Im replacing everything i have with a Dell laptop soon, but not soon enough.

Reactions: Ploki