To leave on, sleep, or turn off...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Killerbob, Oct 25, 2015.

?

Do you 1) shut off your MPwhen not in use, 2) shut it off regularly, or 3) leave it on 24/7?

Poll closed Nov 1, 2015.
  1. Shut if off when not in use

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Shut it off regularly

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Leave it on 24/7

23 vote(s)
    71.9%
  1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

I am playing around with using my Mac Pro is more ways, and one is to leave it on, using the iTunes as a shared library. I currently shut down my MP whenever I do not use it, but I wonder if that actually matters??? There aren't that many moving parts inside the 2013 MP - only the fan if I am not mistaken...

So the question is; should I leave it on 24/7, simply setting some decent sleep parameters, or continue shutting it off?

I am not too worried about the power consumption, and though I have two monitors connected, I can have them go to sleep as well, which also goes for my external Thunderbolt devices...

2. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I leave all my computers on an just let them sleep, they all have a cron to go to sleep at 2 AM no matter though

3. PhiLLoW macrumors 6502

I use a simple light switch to turn off my displays, speakers and other peripherals ( non hdd... ) and send my mac to sleep if I'm not using it.

All my data/music is stored on a NAS which goes into standby too if not used for 30-40 minutes.

10watts standby vs. ~200watts if powered on.

4. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, I have now changed my setup to be "24/7" on, with sleep after 15 min. That works fine, and even if I have iTunes running, the Mac Pro falls asleep, and my NAS spins down the HDDs, I can still wake the whole thing up by accessing the shared library from another Mac:)

It takes about a minute for the Mac Pro to fall asleep even when pressing Command–Option–Eject, why is that?

5. mryingster macrumors regular

mryingster

I leave mine on and only reboot for updates.

I do have it set to sleep after 30 minutes/after midnight, however, I have problems with sleep if two users are logged in. It will sleep perfectly with single user logged in, but with two or more, it will never automatically go to sleep. Anyone else ever see that behavior?