To lenscoat or not to lenscoat

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by flosseR, Mar 20, 2011.

1. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Right, I have been wondering of getting lenscoats for my lenses (at least the ones that I can get them for), not for camouflage but for actual protection. I have seen them in action and sometime the lenses just take a hit or two and that neoprene neatly takes the hit. They make them in black which is what suits me best. BUT the question is does anyone else use them? Are there alternatives since they are pretty pricey and from the looks not quite 100% fitting.

Someone also suggested camo form tape which also absorbs the hits, albeit less so, but is a helluva lot cheaper.

input?

2. gameface macrumors 6502

Not many, no.

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Are you planning to throw your camera around?

I don't use them, and haven't broken a camera or lens yet. I have insurance to guard against that.

4. Eaton Photos macrumors regular

I have a Camo patterned lenscoat on my 300/2.8. I bought the Camo for two reasons; (1) to blend in with the natural surroundings around me, when shooting wildlife, and (2) because it doesn't absorb heat, like black does. What is the point of putting a black coat on a white lens??? Canon makes most of their zooms & tele's white, to help minimize heat issues. Another benefit of having a lenscoat, is that is does provide some protection to the body of the lens, but also prevents paint wear, which in turn helps minimize depreciation values, if one were to sell their lens.

I would suggest asking this question on the FM General Discussion board. You will get many more specific answers to your questions, as there is a lot more traffic there, and there are numerous members who own & use lenscoat products. In response to the statement about fitting, the coat on my 300, fits perfectly. There is some slight movement here & there, but for the most part all the different pieces stay in their respective places. Also, I would strongly advise against putting any type of tape on your lenses, except for Gaffer's tape. I utilize Gaffer's tape in a few strategic areas, but I have never wrapped any of my lenses or hoods in any type of tape.

5. flosseR thread starter macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Hi, thanks for the responses.about the canon lenses: I use Nikon so my lenses are all black. In terms of throwing the lenses around, well I do go on travel and I do go out in the woods etc. so yes my lenses do see action and they do get small hits here and there. My old sigma 70-200 had some scratches because it fell on the ground. So yes I have seen damage to the lenses in that respect.

In terms of the lens coats, they look like they fit well but I have seen professional photographers using self adhesive tape as a layer of protection. So no glue residue left as you take it off but still that looks even worse than the lens coat :)

I'll have to re-think what I will do....

6. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I'm not so sure I'd want to insulate my black lenses. An Inland Marine insurance policy is probably a much better deal.

Paul

7. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I did not know these existed, and actually do not think they are a bad idea if you are the type to take your gear outside in inclement weather.

8. Rowbear macrumors 6502a

Rowbear

I do have a lens coat on my 400mm, and the greatest benefit for me is that it keeps my hands warmer in our cold Canadian winter since I'm not holding onto bare metal.

9. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Down here, we have these things called gloves... :D

On a serious note, I find that the pre-shaped neoprene Kayaker's gloves work well, as well as everything else you might need to touch in the winter- I can operate my camera gear without removing them and shove them into a pair of mittens while I'm waiting around.

Paul