To Lion... Or NOT to Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by GraphikGeek, Jul 21, 2011.

1. GraphikGeek macrumors newbie

This is my question!! I was so excited and looking forward to Lions release but now that it has been released I am getting cold feet!! I used to be a Windows user and I remember Vista!! Ugh ugh ugh!! Not sayin that Lion is a Vista at all!! Just wondering if it is worth the upgrade.. I am seeing some issues people are running into which is understandable.. But i'm a HUGE pros vs. cons guy...

What about Lion screams "YOU MUST UPGRADE!!"..

2. askabob91 macrumors member

Nothing much, really. The only standout thing for me is how fast Safari is but you can just download that from the Apple website. If you are a big user of Expose or Spaces then I suggest staying away from Lion. Mission Control is awful and clumsy and it is really tedious to work with. I wish I could downgrade to Snow Leopard but I don't have the CD.

3. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

Full screen apps. If you have a laptop, totally worth it.

4. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

As a major proponent of the old Spaces, if you set them up correctly, you can achieve most of the same functionality in Lion's Mission Control.

I still prefer the old Spaces for sure, but it's no longer a deal breaker to upgrade to Lion.

One of my favorite features now is Resume - having everything (*including created Spaces*) come back exactly as before when you need to reboot is one less thing you need to worry about having to relaunch a bunch of programs the way you had them.

Still looking around for other cool features, but this is my favorite after a whole day so far :)

5. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Depends on what you use your mac for. Casual users should have no problems. Power users that rely on Spaces on the other hand...

And Lion is a far cry from Vista. Unlike that nightmare it's stable enough. Features were changed/tweaked and even removed but it isn't Vista.

6. iBunny macrumors 65816

New Graphics Drivers and Better (much better) Open GL Support.

7. GraphikGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the 15in i7 quad core mac book pro.. I am a graphic designer so I wouldn't say I am a casual user but I am new enough at Macs that I am not "advanced" I use spaces rarely but I am sure that I will use them more as I get deeper into using this computer as my design computer.

So I can just turn off my computer and when I boot it up again in the morning everything will be the same as when I left it??? That sounds epic!! Mark one up for the PROS!!

8. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I love it.

Get it.

Full screen apps, love the gestures, love the animations.

9. And macrumors 6502

And

Honestly? Nothing.

Launchpad removed. Mission control removed. Resume feature cancelled. Trackpad scrolling has to be put back to normal. Trying to find out how to cancel autosave 'feature'.

Actually the wallpaper is nice, but probably this isn't the best reason to upgrade.

I'm spectacularly underwhelmed.

10. GraphikGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

That is what I am worried about.. I am not sure if I would ever use the Launch pad. And I have heard someone say that more than once... What happens to the scrolling???

11. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

If you don't want to use the launch pad, then don't. No one forces you to. The scrolling is inverse, such as when you are scrolling on an iPad or iPhone. But you can uncheck a box and have it back to normal under your trackpad settings.

12. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I really like Mission Control, as a former Expose user. Never used Spaces, as it was a real kludge and always took more time to manage than it ever saved.

TRIM support is big for those users who have fast storage. :D Other than that, it's ok I guess, not much else useful changed. Had to disable the backwards scrolling and hide Launchpad.

13. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Nothing screams you must upgrade and you should really take a careful look to see if all of your critical apps are compatible (Pro Tools isn't yet, for example) at the present time.

14. jgro macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard. I want to upgrade to Lion, but I have also decided to pick up a new Mac Mini in a few days. If I start up the Mini and log in my Apple info, will it still charge me to upgrade? Because if I'm going to have to pay the $30 regardless I'll just download it now, but if it'll come free after buying my new Mini I'll just wait it out.

15. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

I would say nothing screams you must upgrade, but there are some very nice features that make it worthwhile.

Resume is great, the new gestures are very handy and Launchpad is a big improvement (I now have my apps organised the way I want them).

Full-screen apps are not something I expect to use much given that I have a 1920x1200 screen and went for a 17-inch laptop precisely because I want more than one window at a time, but auto-save and versions will be handy when they are supported by more apps. Ditto auto-correct (which works the same way it does on an iPad).

So, nothing desperate, but so far I've found no reason not to (one incompatibility - Carbonite - which I'm sure will be fixed soon) and the enhancements are worth having IMV.

16. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

At first after I installed it, I was very excited about it. Twenty-four hours later, I am mostly disappointed. I have basically turned off or don't use the "special" features (Resume, Gestures, Full Screen Apps, Launchpad and Mission Control). I do like Mail and Safari, but that is about it. I don't like the Finder changes especially. Plus in general ecerything seems to run slower for me. If I could have a do-over, I wish I had just stayed with SL.

17. GraphikGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you wondering if you are going to get Lion on the Mini when you buy it? Or are you asking if you can use the Lion download on both machines???

18. aluren macrumors 65816

I love it. At first I hated the concept of "back to the Mac" and making everything iOS like. But now I love how you can interact with Safari and Mail the same way you would in an iPad. And the new gestures, to me, makes navigating Safari much better than on an iPad. I think the webpage zoom itself is worth $30.

19. GraphikGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

What are you running Lion on?? MBP? iMac? MacBook? Mac Pro??

20. jgro macrumors newbie

I know that the Mini comes with Lion, but when I download it onto my MBP will I have to pay for the upgrade or will it come at no additional fee since I already have a legit copy of Lion?

21. GraphikGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

From my understanding you would be fine using the CD that is provided with your new computer and install it on your macbook pro... This is what I have read...

The software license agreement (SLA) permits you to “download, install, use and run” one copy of Lion on all Mac’s that you “own or control”. So effectively if you own 10 Mac computers you can purchase just one copy of Lion from the Mac App Store and you are good to install it on all 10 of those. Below is the actual section from the SLA relevant to this question:

"2B(i) to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control;"

Hope this helps!

22. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Incorrect. The DVD that comes with the mini can only be used on that mini or an identical one. It will fail to load on any other Mac. He will need to pay.

I am waiting until 10.7.2 by which time most bugs will be worked out and most apps moved over (along with their bugs worked out). At that point, after much playing around with store machines and reading relevant reviews, I'll make a decision.

23. GraphikGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, good to know.. Is it different if you downloaded it???

24. Fugue macrumors 6502

Personally, I will be waiting a month or two until more applications add support for Lion, and some bugs will be ironed out.

I would jump on it on day one, but honestly, it doesn't excite me. I would only use a few of the new features, and I am using BTT anyways, so the new gestures do not entice.

25. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Oh my, you're one of those people. It's kind of funny how I always get Mac OS'es the day they come out, but it took me something like a year and a half to install Windows 7, and I still use XP a lot more than 7. Go figure.

Apple is great in that you don't have to wait for SP1 like a lot of versions of Windows.