To Lock or Unlock Poll

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by megfilmworks, Sep 24, 2007.

?

Will You Re-lock your iPhone?

1. No way!

32 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. Of course.

13 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. Phew! Never unlocked it.

47 vote(s)
    51.1%
  1. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

With the warnings of impending doom for unlocked iPhones with the release of the new firmware are you going to re-lock?

2. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Need a unlocked and won't update option.

Edit: guess it just falls into "no way" so nevermind me :)

3. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Honestly I cant imagine why anybody with AT&T would even bother unlocking their phones. Anybody that isn't doesnt really have much of a choice but to keep it unlocked.

I'm not with AT&T so I'm stuck keeping mine unlocked :D. Hopefully apple won't screw us up too much.

4. Drile macrumors member

At this point I would rush to relock if I didn't have AT&T.

Probably wait to update for a few days and see what happens to others...

5. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

It's not as if you're forced to update anyway. At the WORST you'll have to create some sort of 2nd account with a backtracked version of iTunes.

6. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

What will be interesting (from a discussion standpoint anyway) is when or if hacking or unlocking prevents an iPhone user from accessing new features, for example the wifi iTunes store.

So imagine you hate AT&T, and have an unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile, if you were prevented from using features on your iPhone (assuming no hacks were created of course) would anyone switch to AT&T to use those features?

What features would they have to be?

I would suggest that something like iChat would make people drop everything and sign up with AT&T or O2 in a heatbeat.

7. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Can't see what the attraction of the wi-fi iTunes store is myself. There again, I'm in the U.K. where the prices are higher, and unattractive. I'd much rather buy the CD or DVD anyway: Many more advantages.

8. anubis macrumors 6502a

With an unlocked iPhone, you have basically doomed yourself to NEVER receiving another software update for as long as you have the iPhone. The rest of us will enjoy the iTunes Wi-Fi music store and a whole slew of other improvements that we can't even imagine at the moment.

9. Drile macrumors member

I feel like as of this exact moment that statement is a bit overboard. While it could turn out to be true, it hasn't yet

10. oxeneers macrumors member

I don't really see what all the fuss is about. I have an unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile and I don't plan on updating the firmware/software.

I'm fine where I am, and yeah, as Erica Sadun said, it puts me in a "time warp" where software is going to be made for the 1.1.1 version, but I'll just use what I have.

These threats aren't beckoning to me, because, I don't need any of Apple's updates.

11. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

No need to relock for me. I love AT&T and my $59 plan. I can see why some people would need to if there wasn't coverage in their area, but I don't see why so many people hate on AT&T / Cingular. I've had them since 2004 and only had an issue when I was roaming in Florida. Didn't realize at the time I didn't have nationwide roaming. Added that and rollover and have yet to have a problem since.

Now that I've said that, I'm preparing to get bitten in the butt on my next bill, lol. Only time will tell...

12. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to disagree. The actual slew of improvements will not be coming from apple themselves but from 3d party developpers. I've already gotten games, voice recorder, MSN messenger, and many other 3d party apps.

I agree that you will get some great features as well, but I wouldn't say that the update is going to screw over those of us who are not with AT&T.

There's also another thing to mention: the contract price. While AT&T customers need to pay 60 a month minimum, we pay anything we want. I'm sure if you need all the minutes and you need edge, sure, stick with what you've got, but some of us really DON'T need those extras.

Not to mention I'm in Canada so even if I wanted to be with AT&T I couldn't be :D

13. megfilmworks thread starter macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

This seems like a fork in the road for unlocked and locked phones.

14. megfilmworks thread starter macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

The update will probably come out tonight (or by Friday)
    Should you lock your phone or blow off the update?

15. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

ya wifi iTunes is great I am login it on my touch but in Canada there is no option for me with my iphone. I would gladly get a locked iPhone if one was avalible!

16. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

Agreed, if Wifi Itunes and ichat are the compelling reasons to necessitate this new update I will gladly do without.

When the iphone was released for $600 i didnt think it was worth early termination or ATT's "special" plans.

once the price dropped and there was a great unlock it finally became appealing. I bought the iphone not expecting to update. For less than 300 bucks I am satisfied as it is now. im sure the DEV team will create work arounds if something is released that I actually need.

It sounds like many ATT users are bitter/envious that unlockers circumvented the system. I have no idea why? But patience has paid off for me thus far with the price cut & unlock - i am confident the same will hold true for updates:D

17. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Smart people have said it already, and I will reiterate: you doom yourself to more and more hacks. If Apple really does come out with an update with a worthwhile feature, and 1.1.1 may well fall into this category, people will hack it again. They will (probably illicitly) distribute a jail-broken version of the software with a way to get it on the iPhone, or a clever way to get the phone activated. Have we all forgotten how fast DVD Jon got his iPhone turned into a WiFi iPod web browser before the iPod Touch came out? You don't need AT&T to get your locked phone updated, you just need to trick iTunes into updating to 1.1.1 (or whatever), and then jailbreak that with what will probably be a new method. Apple will try to lock unlockers out, and they will fail. People who reverse-engineered the unlock process are obviously NOT STUPID PEOPLE. Apple is not going to magically come out with an update that cannot be reverse engineered just like the first one.

I can understand all the legal debates going on around this, but the FUD about getting locked out of future updates? It's impossible. Software is, therefore it can be broken/hacked/modified. and with an instant cult classic device like the iPhone, you can bet your bottom dollar it will be, legal or not, easy or not. Every single time. End of story. So there's no need for unlockers to say "oh well, I don't need future updates," because you will ALL get them, if you want them. It'll just take a little more patience than the "stock" iPhoners on the board.

18. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Unlock

I have another day or 2 to return my iPhone less the 10% restocking fee. I unlocked my iPhone the day I bought it. I wouldn't have bought it at all if the free unlock wasn't released.

If Apple wants to lock my iPhone for the new update, I won't bother updating. Therefore, Apple will lose any impulsive sales at the iTunes Wi-Fi store. If I have to go back to my Macbook to buy music, then I might as well use the new Amazon MP3 and save money buying music without DRM. Apple will lose my money.

I have much better service and rates on my current wireless plan.

ATT
    450 Minutes
    200 SMS (Includes incoming "Stupid!!!")
    Mobile to Mobile
    5000 Night and Weekend (Who talks that much at these restrictive times)
    Unlimited Data
    $59.99

My Plan
    1000 Minutes (2000 for another 2 months for being a good customer)
    Unlimited SMS
    Mobile to Mobile
    Unlimited Night and Weekend
    Unlimited Data
    Free Calls to local landlines
    No Contract
    $54.99

Att version of my plan but with 900 minutes is $79.99 plus $20 for unlimited SMS

My savings using unlocked iPhone in first year is about $45 a month... about $540 in the first year not including taxes. That's more than the iPhone cost.

I would have paid (and still would) the original $599 for my iPhone if Apple sold it unlocked and I'd still be saving $340 the first year.

Screw ATT and Apple.

I am an Apple fanboy but the iPhone is an exception.

19. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Speaking only for myself, it's not envy or bitterness, but rather more of the type of annoyance I feel for anything that has a parasitic relationship with me.

Mostly I don't care unless the parasite brings attention to itself.

20. hiitzDENNIS macrumors newbie

my iphone is under art but I don't have a plan for it I did everything by independence Is it still considered as unlocking? Can I still update to the next firmware or I have to relock it again?

21. megfilmworks thread starter macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I didn't unlock my iPhone, but used jailbreak for various icon swaps, etc.
    I also used iphoneringtonemaker until the ringtone option from Apple started. At that point I felt it was too much work to keep my custom ringtones. If there are no good 3rd party apps released by Apple, then I might consider AppTap or something similar. The key word is hassle. I sync my iPhone 3-4 times a day and don't want to jump through a bunch of hoops every time.

22. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

Intersting - How is/has the relationship become parastic?

On another note, I just moved from DC back to NYC. Despite all its shortcomings, I still miss the place

23. megfilmworks thread starter macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

My plan with ATT is for unlimited data, unlimited US long distance, unlimited US roaming, 2100 mins, rollover, international data and phone plan and all the other usual stuff for $100.

24. kerpow macrumors 6502

This is exactly how I feel. I don't need a company telling me what I can and can't do with a product that I'm purchasing.

25. megfilmworks thread starter macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Now that the update is available, what to do? Lock or unlock??