To LTE or not LTE?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hero Bear, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Hero Bear, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

Hero Bear macrumors newbie

This might be a pre-mature question. I probably should wait till the iPads are announced next week. But I've been waiting two years to pull the trigger on my first iPad, and my trigger finger is itchin' to order on Day 1.

I'm on Sprint. We don't know whether they will carry the iPad. And it's doubtful they'll carry an LTE enabled iPad since they don't have LTE yet.

Assuming there is an LTE enabled iPad on the horizon - Do I bite the bullet and pay an extra monthly fee from another carrier if I want LTE? Is LTE that much better and faster?

Or do I go with a WiFi only iPad and use my Sprint WiFi hotspot? I already pay a monthly hot spot fee, and hopefully Sprint will have LTE within a year's time.

How well do current WiFi enabled iPads work with Verizon or AT&T WiFi hotspots with 3G and LTE? My sense is that using a WiFi hotspot is still not as fast as having a 3G-enabled iPad.

Would appreciate peoples' thoughts on this!

Thanks

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

You can do both. You can pay the one-time premium for the (whatever they call the non WiFi-only iPad) and then use it with the hotspot. Then you'll have the option of getting wireless service if and when you need it and should you travel abroad, you'll be able to get a local SIM as needed. But there's really no one-size-fits-all answer. Figure out what your needs are and go from there. I can't see not having the option of 3G when I need it (and I have a hotspot for work).

3. aneftp macrumors 601

Depends. If you aren't around wifi a lot or travel a lot

And

Can't get a hotspot plan on your current device (AT&T unlimited data users aren't eligible).

Than consider getting the LTE iPad 3.

Personally for me I have an iPhone 4s with unlimited AT&T data do am not eligible for hotspot.

But I have a Verizon Galaxy Nexus Unlimited data plan with option for unlimited LTE $30 hotspot.

So for me. I have no real need for a LTE iPad 3.

4. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Same here. Have a 4G/LTE mobile hotspot and a recently purchased 4G/LTE tetherable Droid Razr Maxx. Each works well with my iPad 2. And since I don't plan to do microsurgery with an iPad no need for a retina display. Even with more memory and a faster processor the iPad won't come close to matching my laptop's processing power.

I like the iPad 2 a lot. It's a very convenient, easy to use tablet. But frankly, I can't imagine what they could do to make it worth upgrading to me.

5. Hero Bear thread starter macrumors newbie

To LTE or not LTE?

Thanks for your replies. I have WiFi at home and hotspot capability on my phone. I'd figure iPads are slower when tethered to a hotspot. However, that may be a fair trade-off for not having to subscribe to 3G/LTE on the iPad each month.

We'll have to see if Sprint offers the iPad next week. Otherwise I'll have to look at other carriers.

6. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Seeing that Sprint carries the iPhone, I can't see why they wouldn't. Bet on it that there'll be an iPad 3 announced for Sprint next week.

7. identity macrumors 6502

Can Sprint afford to pay more money for ipads? They've spent billiions on iphones already.

If you're area has LTE, then get it. If not, there's no need for LTE. My area won't get LTE for another couple years I bet so I'm not buying an LTE ipad because it'll be no use for me.

8. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

iPhones are subsidized, iPads are not, so Sprint wouldn't be paying anything like they do for the iPhone.

9. identity macrumors 6502

Ipads won't be subsidized but they still cost more than wifi versions and they sell almost 3 times the subsidized iphones.

iphone 4s 16 gb - 199
    ipad 3 16gb 3g 629

Apple isn't going to give Sprint the same price for the ipads as the iphone 4s. Whatever price Apple gave Sprint for the iphone, the price for ipads will surely be higher.

*this is the bulk discount I'm talking about.*

10. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

The customer pays the maximum price though? iPhones are subsidized because they come with contracts; the iPad has no contract (you pay for data as you go).

11. identity macrumors 6502

Yes but Sprint still has to pay Apple to get the iPad. Unless Apple decides to just take percentages off of each iPad sold by Sprint but that would mean that they won't get the same amount of money if they just sell Sprint 1,000 ipad 3 LTE instead of taking percentages off 100 out of 500 sold ipad LTE.

I'm not explaining it properly but I'm saying that it would make more sense selling ipad 3 lte' s in bulk to Sprint rather than waiting to collect percentages from the sales of ipads and if they don't sell, you won't be making much compared to bulk.

Anyways, Sprint doesn't have LTE so we don't have to worry about ipad lte's on Sprint right now.

12. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

You bring up a good point; everyone else but Sprint who has the iPad will have LTE.

13. Foxykhat macrumors member

Note sure if I understand this LTE thing. I presently have an iPad 2 3G + WiFi. I'm in the Caribbean (doubt we are LTE capable or anywhere near). If I upgrade to an iPad3 (I guess wifi plus LTE) will I not be able to use my old sim and just get whatever service my carrier is using, that is no LTE speed or whatever the term is but just 3G.

Please people as I said I don't know much, so no need to be rude.

Thanks in advance.

Foxy

14. Fudd macrumors member

The LTE chipset supports 3G as well.

15. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

My local telco did sell the ipad2 at a subsidised rate (they eventually claw back the subsidy through higher monthly data plans). Not really worth it though, as it is typically cheaper to just pay for an extra sim card (I don't even come close to reaching my iphone's 12gb data cap, what with the painfully slow 3G network and all). :p

Which brings me to my question - if my country has no 4G network (and apparently has no plans to introduce it anytime soon), do you think it would be worth it to spring for the 4G version just so I have a 3G connection? I know the answer would likely be "It depends on your needs", but I don't really like the idea of paying for a feature I will not be making full use of. :(

16. Foxykhat macrumors member

Thank you! That's want I needed to hear.

Foxy

17. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I don't know about outside the U.S., but here each carrier has their own version of the iPad. If none of your carriers have 4G, I can't imagine Apple will release a 4G version for your market.

18. irod87 macrumors regular

If you live in an area that has LTE currently or travel to locations that do then yes. LTE is impressive in my experience.