To macbook + tbd or imac owners

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by apple mac user, Feb 7, 2014.

1. apple mac user macrumors newbie

Do you ever miss the backlit keyboard on your laptop when using your desktop/external display? Or is the external display bright enough to light up the keyboard in dark conditions?

Also can you change the brightness of the imac/tbd using the keyboard, like you can on notebooks?

Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a backlit keyboard on my rMBP and its a nice feature when I'm typing on my laptop in my bedroom while relaxing in a recliner chair. Typically the lighting is a bit darker there.

When I'm working normally, however I use an external keyboard w/o any backlighting. I don't miss it as I make sure I have proper lighting in my office. I think its important when you spend a lot of time on the computer you consider the lighting. I work from home and so I want to be sure my office is well lit, this mitigates the issues of keyboard not having any back lighting - hope that helps :)

3. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

You can control display brightness from the keyboard, same as on a MacBook.

Logitech sells a backlit BT keyboard for the Mac (and iPad). It's virtually the same size as an Apple BT keyboard.

4. apple mac user thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for both of the answers.

That's a very good point about the lighting. After damaging my eyes when i was younger i have learnt the hard way to keep the room well lit, i guess you are right in saying that usually, the backlit keyboard will only be needed when i am using the laptop's keyboard anyway.

I was actually debating between that logitech keyboard and apple's own one. The logitech looks nice to type on but i quite like the idea of using a magic trackpad which would go nicely apple's own keyboard using a twelve south magicwand :p

Also nice to know that i can change the brightness, i was expecting that to be a power-saving feature not needed on desktops but i like to have it turned down even when plugged in.