To make doing taxes even more annoying...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by samiwas, Feb 16, 2013.

1. samiwas macrumors 65816

I don't think this counts as PRSI, but feel free to move it...

So, oh why, can't the same type of form from any given company be a standard-style form? This year, I have W2s from eight different companies and 1099s from two different companies. All eight W2s are different. Some are long and rectangular. Some are smaller and more square. Some are a separate page for each of the copies. Some are plain white. Some are blue. Some have a grey patterned background. It seems like it would be easier for everyone involved if these forms were standardized. Anyone know a reason why they are not?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would imagine it has a lot to do with whatever program or company that is used to create these things. Each one has their own set of standards.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No reason it can't be standardized. A 1040 looks the same whether you use Turbo Tax, Tax Cut, the PDF on the IRS's website, or pick up a copy at your local library.

4. samiwas thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, this is what I'm saying. Why not standardize the form? It seems awfully inefficient to have that many different types of the same form floating around. For every one, the boxes are in different locations or different orders. For people who deal with these forms all day every day, I think it would suck. It would probably improve the efficiency of tax people everywhere.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since companies file their W2 information to the IRS electronically the IRS doesn't care too much what the employees get.

TBH, it really doesn't bother me, I'm careful when reading the numbers and turbotax is good at spotting mistakes, like putting the wrong number in (at least for the W2 info)

6. samiwas thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, what led me to post about is was just trying to keep everything neat on my desk while organizing for tax prep. But because they are all different sizes, it gets a little annoying.