To make matters worse....

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Fairchild, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Fairchild macrumors member

2014 Mac Minis do not include a hdmi to dvi adapter in the box!

+$29!

2. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

That sucks but to be fair most monitors made in the last few years have hdmi.

3. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Which could be fair if you have an extra hdmi cable, otherwise you have to buy one. I keep hearing that the Mac mini is meant as a transition machine, I do not think many people are transitioning from fairly recent windows PC's. Older ones probably do not have HDMI. I use my dvi adapter but I would not buy the Mac anyways.

4. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Can go either way. We all have different needs and scenarios. For me the mini would've been an upgrade from my current mini. I don't see it as an upgrade though so will stay with my 2012 quad core.

5. Dsching Suspended

Dsching

The late 2012 mac mini did not have a hdmi to dvi adapter in the box either.

6. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

DVI is a dying component, hdmi is a tv standard and dp/mini-dp is the future computer standard.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

Yes it did.

----------

You are correct!

8. Micky Do, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Makes sense to me.

Both my 2005 and 2009 minis came with a DVI adapter / connection that was useless to me. My 2004 vintage monitor had a VGA connection. The replacement I bought last week has DVI, but I still need to use VGA on the odd occasion I take my Mini to work, to connect to a projector.

Buying the adapter(s) to suit requirements seems preferable to being supplied with one that doesn't.

9. 6r4ff3r macrumors member

More and more cheap monitors have hdmi. 3rd party dvi/vga -> hdmi adapters are useful in macs. Some day it would have to happen.

10. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Maybe if Apple did not downgrade the specs of the Mini's would I say you are correct. I keep hear claims from APPLE apologist that these are for general consumer and people switching from PC. HDMI is is only now becoming prevalent on LOW end displays as it is not a Display stand rather a TV standard and Mini Display port is on also no displays at all.

On dell/Amazon websites almost ALL low end current monitors DO NOT have HDMI and non have MINI DP. Even some high end current ones do not have the proper connectivity. I doubt that the majority of people would have who are just switching will have the proper connectivity as the current cheapest ones available do not.

You can not compare getting rid of an adapter for required connectivity to a FW port, DVD drive, IR sensor. I See the GOAL POST MOVING AGAIN.

I keep hearing that this downgrade being defending as most people do not need so much computer nowadays and its a service to them. Look guys we will save you money but you will have to buy a more expensive monitor to compensate.

I can see this cause people who just need an adapter to get scammed into buying a Brand new monitor because of a scummy best buy sales agent. I can see this happen as they have already got scammed by apple to get the all new slower Mac Turd.

Only an apologists who likes to keep moving the goal post would defend this.

11. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I considered the adapter important on the '12 because you needed the hdmi port to drive a second monitor. Apple changed the dvi port to hdmi to make the tv people happy and didn't want to alienate the PC guys. Now that the 14 has two TB ports, the hdmi port is (usually) needed only for TV use.

12. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

I think you need to read some of my past posts/topics before ever calling me an apologist. And FYI DVI is dying. It's been dying since around 2006 (Or rather, slowly losing the 'main pc component' status) and has been free falling since 2012. Do you notice for one second that none of the 4k monitors have a DVI connection?

DVI does not support one of the biggest upcoming updates in the pc field! DVI still has a max of 2560x1600! And you question if DVI is dying?