To MBP, or not to MBP...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by draggy, Oct 28, 2008.

1. draggy macrumors newbie

I might be able to get a MBP for, what I think, is an excellent price. It exceeds my initial budget a bit, so I was wondering if a MBP was really worth the expense.

It would be 1400$ for a demo 2.4ghz 15'' MBP at my university store. These macs usualy go for 1500$ CAD but they are willing to le it go for 1400$ since it's a demo. I'm not too fond on buying demo stuff, but apart from the dust on the screen, I could've never told it had been used.

I waited since june to see the new MacBooks (and eventually buy one), but they're not as interesting as I thought they would be. So no new MBs for me. I don't want to buy a whitebook either because the graphics chip is not quite what I needed. So I'm left with this: I either buy this MBP, or look for a less expensive PC laptop.

I thought my decision to buy a mac was clear, but now that it's time to pull the trigger, I find myself quite hesitant... A little comforting please? :p

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

If you do a search there are tons of threads about the pros and cons of picking up a MBP.

3. Tosser macrumors 68030

Not much comforting from me. I will be going Thinkpad next.

The only comforting I will give you is that seen from here (Denmark) 1400CDN is a very, very good price.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The MBP is a superb machine, powerful, great performance, attractive aesthetics, a superb screen and, in the example you are looking at, a very competitive price. You will get several years out of it; I switched last April and I'm very happy with my (refurb) MBP. Get it and enjoy it.
    Cheers

5. draggy thread starter macrumors newbie

About the refurbs... What is Apple's policy about aesthetics? Does the laptop have to be just like new, or will they ship refurbs with a few very minor scratch? Or could you get a laptop that smells like cigarette?

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I don't know if this helps any, but this is from Apple's website on their refurbished computers: http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/apple_certified.html