To migrate or not to migrate...that is the question.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by detz, Feb 2, 2009.

1. detz macrumors 65816

So my new Macbook Pro should be here in the next week or two and I'm still undecided on if I want to use the migrate tool to transfer over my stuff. Since my current white macbook was my first real Mac I did a lot of things wrong and I'm sure my machine is cluttered and slow because of it. It would be nice to start from a fresh copy but it's going to be a pain to try and transfer settings and preferences I do want over by hand. What are your thoughts, do you migrate by hand or let the OS do it? What does it copy over when it does that?

2. Wikinerd macrumors 6502

Hmph.... that being said, you should choose to migrate using the Migration Assistant (Located in /Applications/Utilities). You can then choose what to migrate, such as your account (esp. preferences).

Depending on what is dragging your MacBook down, you'll have to clarify before I can make any more suggestions

3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

I'd start fresh. Transfer any files you might need with Firewire target disk mode. reinstall all your programs, etc... everything will be much more smooth and clean and FAST

4. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I completely agree. A little time invested in the beginning to reinstall your programs will be worth it in the long run.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This is a myth, really. Migration Assistant transfers things over properly.

6. Wikinerd macrumors 6502

I'd tend to agree with that... There aren't a lot of apps that really drags the CPU and memory down, and the few that do you will probably reinstall them anyway...

And if you use the Migration Assistant you don't loose the app's prefs, cookiees, fav's, etc.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

The idea of a"fresh install" is a Windows thing. The Mac has no registry and installing one program does not have an effect on others except to use disk space.

If disk space is tight then, yes think about every file and re-install programs as you need them.

8. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, a lot of apps I've installed were installed using an installer and they are more difficult to remove. So, I'm more worried about clutter than things being messed up.

If I use the migration tool does that just do apps and settings, so new drivers and os files will not be touched just personal stuff that I've added to the computer?

Also, what's the difference if I use the migration tool or restore from a time machine backup?

9. Wikinerd macrumors 6502

There are a few apps out there to remove these apps such as AppDelete and AppCleaner.

No. OS preferences, settings are restored. (But if you customize the way you migrate you can choose what you move...)

Using the time machine backup is the same as the migration tool except in the Migration Assistant you can customize what you move into your computer, while the Time Machine backup does everything...