Carrier To my fellow AT&T grandfathered unlimited users

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, May 21, 2018.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

Is there any reason to keep the current plan over switching to T-Mobile? I noticed AT&T has newer unlimited plans which include HBO for free and hotspot so I'm wondering if there is any real downside to switching carriers or even switching and coming back to AT&T later down the line? What is the main advantage of the current unlimited plan? I'm afraid to switch carriers simply because I would lose my grandfathered plan and can't get it back.

2. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

The DTV kick back is also pretty nice, for me I had horrible coverage (WI area) with T-mobile and didn't want to go from a $70 to about $95 (single line unlimited everything plan) however, between the free HBO ($15 value) and $15 back on my DTV now service, this is almost a $30 savings bringing me close to what I was paying with tmobile anyway PLUS i have way better coverage.

The one thing I REALLY miss from Tmo is there fantastic customer service and of course Tmobile Tuesday which made Tuesdays kind of fun to wake up too.

3. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Since AT&T has started employing throttling methods to even the grandfathered plans, I ended up switching to one of AT&T's newer unlimited plans around the time I got my X. The fact that you can hotspot/tether with the new one, but you couldn't with the old one was the real kicker for me.

So far, I've been happy with it.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Dump the unlimited. I had it for years and my bill for all of our phone was close to $300 a month and now under $200. We were not using enough data to be worth it and now down to a 20gb bucket we are all using and not using but about 5gb a month now.

5. TechJunk1e macrumors newbie

TechJunk1e

Cell providers throttle the unlimited plans anyways. The grandfathered plans are no different. Doesn’t matter anymore.

6. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

I think the new plan is better. My brother used almost 100gb’s last month by himself and it didn’t slow down. But the plan price now is what would stop me from going to it. See I’m on the unlimited plus plan which I got back in November of last year.

Well now they have a new unlimited plan 15gb’s of hotspot per line vs 10gb’s.. The only issue is AT&T raised the price from $20 per line to $30. So for me if I got that new plan having 7 lines that would be an extra $70 a month for basically the same thing. If you’re on a single line I think it’s actually cheaper not sure you might look into it.

7. fallenapple99 macrumors member

The pricing on it is BS. My wife and i switched from grandfathered to the free HBO plan. The website claimed our bill would be 150ish, come to find it's 167, almost the same price we paid before for grandfathered unlimited. They gave us some BS that the corporate discount we had could no longer be applied. The only reason we stayed was the free HBO on directv. It's the only thing that makes the plan worth while.

8. barnyard macrumors member

I dumped AT&T unlimited for T-Mobile when they raised the monthly price by $5 and then took away phone subsidies. I'll never go back.

9. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

It was pretty clearly called out (on here at least) that the FAN wouldn't apply to the new unlimited.

10. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah with no corporate discount, it is basically a wash with the old plan and $15 for HBO NOW.

11. CPTmom2wp macrumors 6502

CPTmom2wp

I have 4 people on my AT&T plan with 30gb max. We have 3 iPads, 4 phones, and 1 Watch. We seldom use over 5gb. The only two months I exceeded the 30gb was when our home wi-fi was down for 3 weeks (electrical work being done) and we had to use the hotspot on a daily basis.

We just signed up for DirectTV Now for $35 per month, which offers each premium channel for an additional $5-8/month. So to add HBO $5 and Showtime $8, we are paying $48 per month (plus taxes, fees etc :0((. PLUS....we got a free ATV4K for paying 3 months in advance :0)).

When we cancelled cable, we were paying around $90/month without any premium channels. We can now watch all the same channels plus the premium channel shows we like for less than half. We watch on ATV4K DTV app. The fine print said that you could actually cancel after the 3 month period without any penalties (the ATV4K at a discount $35x3=$105, $111 w/taxes/fees)

https://www.att.com/directv-now/

12. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I had a really bad experience (and still do) when I switched from grandfathered to the new unlimited. I do wish I could go back, and now I'm so unhappy I am willing to leave to any other carrier. This is after having been at AT&T Wireless for over 20 years. I've been there so long my first cell phone was one of those analog ones with the pull out antenna. Heck, I've been there so long I remember when it was called McCaw Wireless.

I don't want to get into a long rant, but probably will.

Basically between the loss of FAN, increased line items for DTV/HBO, and increased fees I ended up much, much more per month. The DTV stuff you have to pay for, but then is supposed to be credited back. Except I never got credited back. When I complained at the store he said it could take a few months for the credit to start kicking in. Wow, that was lie. I waited 4 months and it never kicked in.

It turns out I don't like DTV anyway, it's live with commercials and the user interface is the worst I've seen of any TV service. I'm not really into that. When I tried to cancel DTV, I could not, and still cannot cancel it. They have no record of me being a customer, and cannot find me based of of my name, address, or telephone number. They ask for my account number which I cannot give because it is electronic billing, so I've never received a letter with an account number on it. In fact the only communication I have from DTV is the initial welcome email, which does not contain an account number.

So I called my credit card company and told them I'm unable to cancel after two tries through DTV customer support, and I wanted to deny all future charges from them. Unfortunately VISA cannot do that in their system, they can only "contest" charges. So they've done that. I'm not really sure how that's going to work out. Maybe I will have to contest charges every single month until DTV gives up. I am concerned that DTV will send this to a creditor or worse...ding my credit report. All because they cannot seem to find me in order to cancel me--even though they can find me every month to bill me.

I guess this is really a DTV rant more than an AT&T rant, but they are the same company now.

The only positive I feel that I got out of this is that I can use tethering now, and that's been handy once or twice.

13. rluvbeach macrumors member

I had been an ATT wireless customer since it was cellular one. My most recent plan was 350 minutes, pay as you go texts, and unlimited data, paying usually around $75/month. I also had directv with internet, no premium channels, and was paying about $240 a month for that. Monthly total about $315

My wife and I are now on Tmobile's 55+ plan, two lines unlimited everything and tethering for $60, (tmobile service is as good or better than att here in south fl), 100 mbps comcast internet for $50/month and youtube tv for $35/month. Monthly total $145/month.

My advice, don't be afraid of change.

14. NoBoMac macrumors 68000

Switched to ATT prepaid back in November and would be hard pressed to back to an unlimited plan.

Getting 6GB with rollover for $40/mo. Historically, my usage tends to be in the 1-2.5GB range, since wifi is everywhere and have high speed internet at home. Once or twice a year, when travelling, might hit max of 5-6GB, but rollover will cover that. Saving $55/mo on something that I was not putting to use.

15. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

I also did the DirecTV Now deal (the streaming service, not to be confused with DirecTV) and when I went to cancel after 3 months, it gave me an option online to get 3 more months at $10 a month. I also heard if you are going to continue using it, you might as well just sign up for a new account and get another Apple TV 4K with 3 months.

16. old mac Suspended

old mac

Why don't you cancel your CC?

17. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

That's the plan if the contesting the charges doesn't work. I'd prefer not to do that because I'll have to change several automatically billing accounts, and it also breaks access to historical PDF statements online. (Had to do it once before when fraud occurred.)

18. Davidhedge macrumors member

T-Mobile is amazing. Great service for great price. Customer service is very top notch. Also T-Mobile is doing very big things. Within 5 years T-Mobile will run the world as far as phone services go. They also just bought out sprint. They will also be the first cell phone carrier to roll out 5G.