Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdmcwilliams

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
You're completely missing the point. Most people are not logged in to any of those services all the time. That fact alone prevents it from being a primary source of communication. All the other factors I mentioned are other reasons that desktop IM clients (even if used on a phone) cannot be compared to BBM. They're not the same. They never will be the same. They need to stop being compared by people who have never used BBM.

I used BBM for years and PingChat is the closest thing I have found. It can only be used on a phone and you cannot log off. The only way someone is not on is if they delete the app.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
You're completely missing the point. Most people are not logged in to any of those services all the time. That fact alone prevents it from being a primary source of communication. All the other factors I mentioned are other reasons that desktop IM clients (even if used on a phone) cannot be compared to BBM. They're not the same. They never will be the same. They need to stop being compared by people who have never used BBM.

Back when I had the curve, I used BBM since many friends, females & coworkers used it. The only thing that I was really impressed with was the group chat, being that IM sucked on just about every device out there expect the Sidekick. BBM to me was more like the walkie talkie of chat.

Now things are different. IM is robust and stable on most smartphones today. Funny thing is that, I find other IM apps to suck badly on BB. I use a Bold 9650 for work.

Besides the exclusive user base on one OS platform, I don't really see what BBM holds over regular IM.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Now things are different. IM is robust and stable on most smartphones today. Funny thing is that, I find other IM apps to suck badly on BB. I use a Bold 9650 for work.

Besides the exclusive user base on one OS platform, I don't really see what BBM holds over regular IM.

1. GChat and AIM are both significantly better on the BB than any iPhone IM app (I use Beejive). On the iPhone the IM's are slow, push notifications are inconsistent, and the IM's need to load AFTER you open the app. On the BB the IM apps are always on and the instant messages are instant as well as the notification times. There is no loading time. The iPhone does almost everything better than the Blackberry but to say IM on the iPhone is better is simply foolish.

2. If you don't understand the benefits of BBM over standard IM applications after reading this thread as well as the other BBM thread below this, nobody is going to convince you. It's not really opinion b/c there are many FACTS that have been stated regarding the benefits of the application. I recommend you read both threads again. The only thing I ever miss about Blackberry is BBM and I've tried EVERY iOS BBM replacement as well as every IM application. Nothing compares.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

From what you're saying it sounds like your best solution really is SMS.

SMS is always on, always goes to the mobile device, and is fairly reliable. Why is it not an option?

diegoesk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2010
I still have my blackberry (boost mobile).. kik messenger is the way to go if your used to BBM.

The only thing that sucks about it is the lag. But maybe that was an ATT thing. Im going to verizon tonight :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.