To New MBP Owners-Battery Calibration Misinformation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by donster28, Jun 12, 2009.

1. donster28 macrumors 65816

Hello fellow proud owners of this here fine notebook (I got the 13" base model MBP and upgraded to 4gigs of RAM and a Seagate 7200rpm 320gig drive...what a beauty).

A lot of people including me posed the question here with regards to step 3 of the Apple battery calibration instructions as follows:

1. Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your PowerBook's battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.

2. Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for at least two hours. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.

3. Disconnect the power adapter while the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, the low battery warning dialog appears on the screen.

The confussion: Does step 3 mean I have to run my computer continously until the battery depletes fully, or can I use my computer normaly, putting it to sleep when not being used during this process?

The answer from an Apple phone techinician: Step 3 means that I can use my computer normally, including putting it to sleep when not in use and even turning it off. As long as I let my battery deplete completely at the end, the computer can be used as normal.

This is a relief since the new MBP batteries can last a looong time.

Be sure to do a battery calibration to keep the battery meter accurate. I do mine every other month. To keep your battery in fine form, be sure to keep it moving, meaning not leaving it plugged in all the time but ocassionaly running your computer with the battery every once in a while.

I hope this helps in the enjoyment of your brand new MBP. :)

2. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Im not sure regularly calibrating the battey necessarily keeps it "in fine form" (just putting unecessary cycles on it?). Especially Li-poly batteries which is better to only partially discharge and recharge vs. deep full discharges and recharging.

Rather I think calibrating merely ensures that the battery meter is accurate, giving you a realistic representation of percentage remaining and remaining runtime.

Ruahrc

3. donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

Your abosolutely right. I should have said "to keep the battery meter accurate." Just made the necessary correction to my OP.

Thanks. :)