To Non-Touch 2016 13" MBP owners, any problems like the other models?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sanjo, Dec 4, 2016.

1. sanjo macrumors newbie

news reports are saying that some of the 15" late 2016 models are experiencing issues like:
    blown out speakers when using windows via bootcamp
    high heat
    reduced battery life
    graphical glitches, etc

are these problems affecting your non-touch 13 model?

2. papayafex macrumors newbie

I have the base model 2016 ntMBP (i5/8/256).
    Battery life is not that great. It displays 12houra when idle, but when I surf on Safari, do some coding on Eclipse etc, it lasts 3-5 hours.
    Fans almost never kick in, but it get really hot when I Skype or power an external monitor.
    Also, i feel a vibration around the trackpad and the back cover when it is on charge, which annoys me a lot.

I send the first one back and they send me a new one, but it is still the same (also that vibration issue). I will send it back (again) and order a Macbook Air.

3. high3r macrumors member

Vibration is normal. You need the three prong power cord to avoid that. Yes I know, it's not included with the new machines. :)

4. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

The blown-out speaker issue was apparently a driver issue that already has a fix released (to prevent it from happening).

The other three "issues" you've listed are the same issues for every other laptop on the planet depending on who's doing the reporting and what their agenda is.

Let's not confuse "news reports" with wildly subjective and unsubstantiated forum posts and sensationalistic "op-ed" blog posts and the usual suspects peddling click-bait.

That doesn't mean it isn't possible the new MBP's won't develop actual wide-spread hardware issues, but again, that can be said about any new tech gear.

Are you actually considering the new 15" for purchase, are these real concerns for you, or are you just looking to drum up a 15" bash-fest?

5. bluush macrumors 6502

I've got the base (2.0, 8gb ram, 256 ssd) ntb 13" and have experienced zero graphic glitches, no overheating issues, no issues whatsoever. I cannot express how much I love my new MacBook Pro. Battery life hasn't been an issue for me at all. Not sure if it's the fact I have the lowest processor, no touch bar, one fan instead of two, or a combination of all these factors, but I'm getting 10-12 hours of use per charge.

6. Devyn89 macrumors regular

Devyn89

This!

7. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

3-5 hours; is that it? Why so low?

Is anyone experiencing such low time with the NT 13" base model??

8. sanjo thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!
    i've been getting mixed feed back here and else where on the base model
    about half having no problems at all
    and another half having somewhat similar problems to that also plague the 15" models (significantly reduced battery life, throttling, etc)
    --- Post Merged, Dec 4, 2016 ---
    seems like you have an agenda to bash those with an agenda.

but to answer your question. I'm trying to determine if indeed, the 13 NTB base model is the best version for me.

9. kwandrews macrumors 6502

I had a NT 13 and zero issues, battery 8-11 hours. Great! Exchanged for a 15" base for more processing power with 4k editing though. That was PLAGUED with battery issues (2-5 hours) no matter what was tried. I had to return it. Taking a chance on a base 13" TB version now....hope it's better. If not, not sure what to do.

10. benz240 macrumors regular

Same here, couldn't have said it better myself. Only criticism is that I wish the USBC ports were on either side so I could charge on either side. But that's a very minor criticism.

11. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

I get around 12h of battery out of it, but my needs aren't much (it's my secondary machine). I mainly do Safari, Word, and sometimes Excel, with 50% brightness and 0% keyboard light. No bluetooth, no mouse, no attaching to any device. I think it's pretty darn good for an on-the-road machine.

I have to charge every 3 days - seeing I only use 3-4 hours of it daily.

YMMV - you may get 8-10h if you stress the system harder.

Don't bother with bootcamp so can't answer that. I have a dedicated Windows PC desktop for gaming :).

No graphicical issue, speakers work great in MacOS, no UI lag, butter smooth, no fan noise. This machine would be perfect if only it had the Touch ID! (not the whole touch bar though)

12. sanjo thread starter macrumors newbie

great let me know how the TB version goes for you. I think so far, perhaps all 15" models will be a no go for me. just need to narrow down which 13" version

13. justabirdy macrumors member

Silver - 2.0/16GB RAM/512GB SSD. Haven't had zero issues so far and have had great battery life (8-10 hours).

14. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

I've not had any issues with high heat, even on the occasions where I have it propped up on my lap with a blanket in-between the laptop and my legs. I've never even heard the fans kick in which is great and one of my few concerns going from the fanless 12" MB to the non-TB 13" MBP.

Battery life has been great. I don't even bring my charger to work and it lasts me a full day. Granted, occasionally I split time between my MBP and my work provided desktop, but the battery life is still much better than my 12" MB. I use it for Safari, Word and Excel at work and occasionally I've even watched some YouTube vids at work and still have battery to spare when I get home.

No graphical glitches at all. I actually had a little on my 12" MB, mainly when I first boot it up the wallpaper colours are all messed up for a second before going back to normal, but nothing on my non-TB MBP. Gotta say I love this machine, probably my favourite Mac that I've owned so far.

Edit: Forgot to mention I'm using base model with SSD upgraded to 512.

15. Dick Whitman macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

I'm not sure what to do. Some people are having problems, some people are not. I guess the only sensible course of action is to buy the new MBP and return it should I encounter any issues. My intent is to use a MBP with an external display for the majority of the time so any reports of the MBP becoming excessively hot in this context is pretty disconcerting.