to order online or pick up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swordfish5736, Jun 12, 2008.

1. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

I swear I saw a thread about this but couldn't find it again even after searching.

Being the apple lover I am I stood in line for my first gen iPhone for a few hours. I'm starting to wonder how quickly it'd get here overnighted from apple day of release. I know I'll probably be so damn eager day of that I'll up hop in line or wait till sat morning and find an att store on the way to the lemans race.

What are everyones thoughts? Will apple sell out as quickly as last time especially with the multi country roll out? I'd hate to go home emptyhanded.

Also how quickly did those who ordered there first gen on the release day get them??

I must say I love my first gen 4giger and plan on getting the 16 as long as they have them around when I go but might be forced into an 8gig

2. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

3. swordfish5736 thread starter macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

not yet at least. I'd assume they'll open it up for pre orders and regular by the 11th. Bad decision if they don't at least

Don't mind my little knowledge on the new phone. I caught the keynote on my way into British Columbia Monday and just got back a few hours ago so ive been attempting to catch up on the news

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

You really need to read some threads...

The phone will almost certainly not be available to order online even after July 11 because it can only be activated in-store.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

@OP: UK, US or other?

I hear Carphone Warehouse may do a first come first pre-ordered service coming out (maybe an online reservation system, they haven't annouced ianything official yet to my knowledge).

They were busy in the 4-5 stores i've talked to, but they didn't sell out. I'd expect the same. Will many hold back and see what the first comments are on the first batch of phones for any niggling issues (like the black screen problem for the v1's at launch?)
    EDIT - See below for that O2 ad about interest in it- they might be doing the same (though there i haven't heard anything about reservation/pre-oprder at O2 stores).

6. swordfish5736 thread starter macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

US. I'll probably head over the the apple store or find an att store out of town less likely to have a line
    Pardon my iPhones edge connection. I'm attempting to catch up
    Ive seen the whole in store activation thing but something tells me apple will sell it in the online store

7. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

8. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

It will NOT be sold online at all. The reason being that to get it at such a low price you must get it on a contract and to do this the companies are making you buy it in-store. Get up to date and then come talk.

9. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

It will be sold online in the UK in both carphonewarehouse online and the O2 online. Not sure about the Apple online store yet. You just sign up to the contract when you order it online, then activate it in iTunes. So you have to pay the monthly fees. Why can't this happen in the US too?

10. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

If they allow online ordering and if it was like the first gen iPhone, it was months until online orders were fulfilled. If you're a "gotta have it now" person, you'll probably need to go to a retail shop. Again, if like first iPhone, AT&T stores will have a few, Apple stores will have plenty.

11. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Wirelessly posted (PPC; 240x320; HTC_TyTN/1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7))

Just a FYI, a friend and myself have both got ourselves on a reserved/pre-order type list with our local o2 store, and will be getting a call 'nearer release' with more info.

12. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

Cool. Which O2 store? Did you just give them your details, and they will contact you? I'd love to get on a reserved list. I'm being really impatient. It will be my first iPhone, and I am fed up with my nokia 6300.

13. PAH Mac macrumors member

This doesn't make sense. If you are an existing AT&T customer you can easily order phones and extend your contract online. Might be a problem for new customers but it should be not big deal to log on to your account and upgrade your phone/plan.

14. iStefmac macrumors regular

Dude........YOU need to do some reading. THose are bogus false rumors.

15. swordfish5736 thread starter macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

right.

I guess that's why the last time I bought a new phone I ordered online from att, renewed contract and activated the phone when it got here.

All apple or att has to do is force you to agree to another 2 year contract that way if you cancel you have to pay the 200 early termination fee

16. iStefmac macrumors regular

They don't need to do a thing. Just like last time.

You buy it. You take it home. You activate. Not complicated. I'm sure, in iTunes, just like before, you'll have to create a new contract JUST LIKE YOU WOULD IF YOU ACTIVATED AN IPHONE TODAY, or you can skip that and go to Pick You Plan.

Nothing will change because there is no reason to backtrack away from simplicity and success. Jobs wouldn't survive all the flack he'd get from ruining the iPhone 3G launch and pissing off every current iPhone owner. (again)

17. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

In all fairness they have not actually announced this, even though it's fairly likely to be true.

Even though it's probably an unhealthy fantasy, I am still clinging to the idea that they will do something, as this is pretty clearly going to be really bad PR for Apple if they don't.

My latest fantasy about that "something" is that it's possible they release an iPhone without the phone part (basically a new version of the Touch), and sell that online.

It's pretty clear that a new version of the iPod touch is imminent, so there is some hope.

18. MojoWill macrumors 6502

this is rubbish all the store can do is contact you and tell you what time they are opening they cannot resever phones for people, and they don't need to most o2 stores will be getting around 100 iphones even smaller store imagine what big ones will get they never are out of stock your only issue is how long you haveto wait in line to buy one plus in the UK you activate via itunes not in store u simpkly buy it instore....

trust me on this one... i know ;)

19. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

Hmm....Ok, I trust you.

20. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I think that is is quite exciting to be at an apple store on launch day. That is what I am hoping to do, depending on what time that it is available.

21. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

NO online sales period. Apple is resticting sales to IN STORE ONLY at
    their stores and ATT stores and MUST be activated on premise.
    This is to basically eliminate the supply of black mkt phones to
    unauthorized markets. A limit of 3 per family is also in effect.

The lines will make last years intro look like nothing. Also, you can pay
    someone to wait in line, but YOU must buy it and activate it while your there.