To Pismo, or not to Pismo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jesus, May 7, 2006.

  1. Jesus macrumors 6502

    The title says it all. I need a laptop for a trip across america this summer and I have found a Pismo for sale at £400, with the 900 mhz upgrade, 80 gb hd, and 1gb of ram. The great benefit is that I can buy 2 new hi-capacity batterys of OWC and get approx. 15 hours of battery life. Should I get the Pismo???
  2. dragula53 macrumors regular

    Jun 23, 2003

    for that price (well, £699), you could get a new ibook that will totally trounce the pismo in every way (except perhaps appearance).

    or.. depending on your time frame, you could wait for a new macbook.

    buying a computer that old for that price seems excessive to me. But enjoy it if you decide to pull the trigger ;)
  3. sysiphus macrumors 6502a


    May 7, 2006
    I'd personally have trouble dropping that much money on a used laptop...desktop, sure, but laptops just don't have the durability/longevity that I'd want if buying used...even the Pismo, which I consider to be the best Powerbook ever built.
  4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

    Spanky Deluxe

    Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
    Are you crazy?? How old are those Pismos now?!! What, five years at least? Spending £400 on a computer that age is a tad daft in my opinion. Like dragula said, you can get an ibook for not much more. With the MacBook due out at any moment you can be sure that the iBook prices will suddenly plummet yet they will still be new, boxed and come with a warranty. Look at how the price of the G4 Minis skydived as soon as the Intel Minis came out.
  5. Bunsen Burner macrumors regular

    Feb 10, 2006
  6. Eldentistfuturo macrumors regular

    Oct 11, 2004
    You would be crazy to pay that much for such an old computer.
  7. MacBookDJ macrumors newbie

    May 6, 2006
    San Francisco
    As much as I love my Pismo, I have to agree with everyone else... £400 plus an additional £170 or so for the two batteries is not a great deal. You'll be much better served by an iBook G4. If you can wait a little longer, look for iBook prices to drop once the Intel-based "MacBook" is released.
  8. Jesus thread starter macrumors 6502

    Thanks for all the help, would it be worth it if I could haggle down to around £300????
  9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5


    Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    The same things still apply - the parts are 5 years old, there's no warranty, the RAM is limited in speed and capacity, it has a third party processor faster and hotter than the machine was engineered for.

Share This Page