Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
The title says it all. I need a laptop for a trip across america this summer and I have found a Pismo for sale at £400, with the 900 mhz upgrade, 80 gb hd, and 1gb of ram. The great benefit is that I can buy 2 new hi-capacity batterys of OWC and get approx. 15 hours of battery life. Should I get the Pismo???

dragula53

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
no

Jesus said:
The title says it all. I need a laptop for a trip across america this summer and I have found a Pismo for sale at £400, with the 900 mhz upgrade, 80 gb hd, and 1gb of ram. The great benefit is that I can buy 2 new hi-capacity batterys of OWC and get approx. 15 hours of battery life. Should I get the Pismo???

for that price (well, £699), you could get a new ibook that will totally trounce the pismo in every way (except perhaps appearance).

or.. depending on your time frame, you could wait for a new macbook.

buying a computer that old for that price seems excessive to me. But enjoy it if you decide to pull the trigger ;)

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
I'd personally have trouble dropping that much money on a used laptop...desktop, sure, but laptops just don't have the durability/longevity that I'd want if buying used...even the Pismo, which I consider to be the best Powerbook ever built.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Are you crazy?? How old are those Pismos now?!! What, five years at least? Spending £400 on a computer that age is a tad daft in my opinion. Like dragula said, you can get an ibook for not much more. With the MacBook due out at any moment you can be sure that the iBook prices will suddenly plummet yet they will still be new, boxed and come with a warranty. Look at how the price of the G4 Minis skydived as soon as the Intel Minis came out.

MacBookDJ

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2006
San Francisco
As much as I love my Pismo, I have to agree with everyone else... £400 plus an additional £170 or so for the two batteries is not a great deal. You'll be much better served by an iBook G4. If you can wait a little longer, look for iBook prices to drop once the Intel-based "MacBook" is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.