To plug in or not to plug in..THAT is the question!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ViPa, Feb 18, 2008.

1. ViPa macrumors 6502a

lol, so i bought a macbook a little over a month ago (yay)...and i find myself around the power cord a lot..i had problems with battery life on my last notebook (dell 700m)..so i want to know if its better to leave the power cord plugged in or unplugged

thanks!

2. Spievy macrumors regular

Interesting question.

For what it is worth I leave mine plugged in all the time and never had a problem.

3. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I have an early 2006 MBP with a battery that came with it. I think there are 16 (sixteen) cycles on it and it's at about 99% - 98% of capacity. I rarely use my MBP on battery power, but when I do, I get a good 3-4 hours out of it.

And most of those cycles are from me just cycling the battery every few months.

MacDann

4. ViPa thread starter macrumors 6502a

^not sure if i fully understand, but thanks for the response

5. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I guess I was trying to say that I use my MBP plugged in nearly all the time, and it has had no deleterious effects on the batteries that I can see.

Sorry for the confusion...

MacDann

6. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

It is healthy for batteries to be fully discharged but not essential.

When I'm around my house using my mac, sat on the sofa responding to emails in front of the tv etc, I don't use the chord, mostly because it gets in the way and pisses me off.

My battery probably gets down to 5-10% once every couple of weeks or so, sometimes more if I'm on the move a lot. For using word / emails etc on the go I get 5-7 hours depending how intensive I'm being. Turing display brightness etc down when you don't need it helps a lot.

I would say not to worry about it if you have your laptop plugged in all the time, but if you do have the chance occasionally to let it get run right down, in an environment where power is no issue (you can plug it in as it's about to die and continue working) then do it.

7. weizilla macrumors regular

You've had your MBP for 2 years and it only has 16 cycles? That's amazing

8. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

9. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

That's on the original battery. I had a spare that was recalled in the battery recall campaign. That one has two or three cycles, I think. and most of those were from me doing maintenance on it.

When I can plug in, I plug in. :D

MacDann

10. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

The bottom line is that the more you use the battery, the less capacity it will be able to hold in the future. So keeping it plugged in whenever it's convenient will prolong the life of your battery. But don't be afraid to take it off the power cord either, because most batteries can be used for a very long time before you will see the capacity go down by too much. And what would be the point of having a laptop if it was always plugged in?

11. MM07 macrumors 6502a

I keep mine plugged in all the time as well. In the System Prefs I have 3 cycles in my first month with my MacBook.

I was unaware of the cycling when I first got my new toy. ;)

When I look in coconut battery it says I have 5 cycles.

Also, sometimes my % drops from 100, so I just unplug the unit until it hits 96% and then I plug it back in.

You sure can learn a lot from here when you're a "newbie."

12. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Very true, but I still try and minimize my time "off the grid" whenever possible.... that's probably why I have never had to replace a battery in any notebook I've owned (so far.)

MacDann