To plug it in, or Not to plug it in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ~David, Oct 29, 2007.

1. ~David macrumors regular

~David

That is the question.

I keep hearing that to increase the life of notebook batteries, that it is best to let them run on the battery until it's dead/almost dead. Is this the case with MacBooks as well?

I know the theory only applies to certain types of batteries, but I just don't know what battery type the MacBook uses.

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

my theory on battery life is that to increase the life of your battery, use it in the way that is most convenient for you. If you're near a plug, plug it in. If you need to use the battery, use the battery. What's the point in having such a fun laptop if you're going to spend all your time worrying about if you're using it properly?

By properly applying this theory, I have a 12 month-old MacBook with 199 load cycles that still has 100% health.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

With lithium ions its best to discharge a little bit and then recharge, not deepcycling.

www.batteryuniversity.com

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

5. loafer macrumors newbie

I do both.

I do little discharges mixed in with deep discharges.

I am at 314 cycles with still 100% battery health - had my mackbook pro since aug 06

6. pinktank macrumors 6502

common consensus holds (so far) that it doesnt matter :D

7. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

For the most part, with all my re-chargeable devices (including my MBP), I use the battery completely until it asks for me to plug it in. I have read that short charges or not charging the battery to full could shorten the life span of the battery.

I don't go crazy about it. Sometimes I have to unplug before it finishes charging, so i can bring it to class. I figure I will buy a new battery for my MBP in about a year.

8. rchoo macrumors newbie

To what percentage would you start charging your battery? I personally prefer it to go down into the red or before it sleeps to do so. But when I do let it charge, whether i let it drain all the way or not, i let it fully charge.

just a habit,
    rchoo

9. ~David thread starter macrumors regular

~David