iPhone XR To pre-order or wait for in store availability

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bodonnell202, Oct 18, 2018.

1. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

I'm thinking I want to pull the trigger and order a XR to replace my trusty 6s, but there are a couple things that make me think I should wait to see it in person and for the reviews:

1. Not sure how I'll feel about the size, I was never interested in the plus phones due to their size but with this being in between I might actually like it, I just would have to try it to see.
    2. Lack of 3D touch - I actually use a few of the 3D touch features on my 6s a fair bit, but this may be a non issue as most of the features look like they will still work with a long press with haptic feedback. Again I'd just have to try to see if I find the change frustrating or a non-issue.
    3. Cellular reception - I would like to see how it performs in low signal situations as this is something I deal with frequently in my line of work.

Thing is if it turns out to be great and I don't pre-order I might end up waiting several weeks to get the color and storage combination I want as rumors suggest there will be initial shortages. with that in mind I'm thinking I might pre-order it tonight since as I understand it I'll have 2 weeks from the delivery date to return it if it's not the phone for me. What are other folk's experiences with returning iPhones within that period? Is it a hassle or is it fairly pain free?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Apple has an excellent return policy. You can return for any reason during your 14 day trial. In fact, you don't even have to give a reason when returning (unless you want to).

Unless money is a concern, pre-order and give it a test. That way, you can make a first hand informed decision.

3. icemantx macrumors regular

I think I am going to hold off until Black Friday and see what kind of deals can be had at like Best Buy, Target and Walmart. The hope is they offer some sort of gift card promo on the XR when activating a new phone like last year where the promos were anywhere from $200-300 gift cards on BF.

4. drewaz macrumors 6502

Do those retailers sell SIM free phones?

5. icemantx macrumors regular

I’m not sure. From what I read about possible deals this year most indicate that activation of the phone in store is required for a gift card promo. Assuming they have promos for iPhones this BF.