To Pre-sign for delivery or not?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by troop231, Feb 3, 2011.

1. troop231 macrumors 603

I've never had a package stolen before, but there is always a chance for a first time, so I'm wondering if I should sign the FedEx Shipment Release Form for my 21.5 iMac that's due for delivery tomorrow? I have to work during the time it's being delivered, and driving to the FedEx facility is not an option. :(

2. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I always do the pre-sign thing, but the most valuable thing I've ever received from Apple is 2 iPod touches.

Is there a good place for them to leave it, around the back of the house or something? I think you can check off where you want them to leave it on that pre-sign sheet. Make them put it somewhere other than the front door.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No, never. Or start the thread tomorrow about how your iMac never made it to you.

4. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

:( Yeah, that does seem like a good idea, I even payed to get it overnited to me from Apple.

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

So, if you don't pre-sign, how are you going to get it? Wait for a re-delivery the next day?

6. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

I guess I'll see if I can persuade myself to go to the facility. :(

7. Mikey7c8 macrumors regular

Be home, or get it delivered to work I think.

8. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

I don't have the option to skip work tomorrow lol, if I would I could, but I also think they won't deliver it to your workplace if it's not the address you provided Apple for the delivery.

9. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Bottom line is you know your neighborhood better than us. If you're questioning a packages safety then maybe there's reason for it. I don't live in the most honest town in America, but I'd trust them leaving the package behind my house or even outside my garage doors (not facing the street). But that's me. Just get yourself to the depot to pick it up if it makes you feel better.

10. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Yeah, re-directing a package is a tall order. And I'm pretty sure Apple would have to be the one to redirect the package. I think only the shipper has that power, and good luck getting Apple to redirect your package, it'll be more trouble than it's worth.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I've said it countless times before, but it's worth saying again:

If you're gonna be at work, have it delivered to work.

12. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I think it's too late for him to go for that option.

13. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Yeah.

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yes, but a lesson learned. ;)

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

Never pre-sign for delivery for anything you can't afford to lose.

16. BigRedOne macrumors regular

I trust FedEX, but once I signed a pre-sign agreement. I would always be wondering about the driver and/or any stranger walking by as my new iMac box showed up. I wouldn't do it!

I have a friend that works at FedEX and things do get lost (he uses lost as he winks)! Go pick it up, you spend that much of a computer, taking a cab will seem like a cheap experience and good insurance.

17. Meyvn macrumors 6502

Just so you know, the facility thing will require you to go the next day anyway. I'd either wait a day for redelivery (if you can be there), or ask a neighbor you trust and do the pre-sign.

18. RuggedPro macrumors regular

I agree with the reasons to not pre sign but no one signs those electronic things even close to legibly so whats to keep the driver or whoever from doing it themselves.

19. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"driving to the FedEx facility is not an option."

If you are unwilling to have it left outside at your home or apartment, and cannot get the package "re-directed" to be delivered at work, than driving to FedEx to pick it up becomes your ONLY option.

It's that simple.

20. skiltrip macrumors 68030

So true.

OP: post back so we know what you ended up doing.

21. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

I ended up pre-signing, and built a one way lock box for them to put the package in, my iMac is in good hands now ;)

22. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Very resourceful. I'm glad I made the journey successfully!