To purchase Macbook pro local deal or not

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DryEyez, Jul 24, 2012.

1. DryEyez macrumors 6502

Nov 21, 2010
    Hi guys, it seems a recent event that I find a deal and ask you guys on your thoughts. You've been very helpful so far and advised of things I hadn't thought of, which has held me back from deals.

So - here is the deal a local person has offered.

Macbook Pro 2009
    Core 2 Duo - 2.52 ghz
    4GB Ram
    40GB HDD with Lion installed

Seller states there are very minor scratches to the underneath (no big deal) and a small dent to underneath (again no biggie). Seller states everything else is working fine.

The one thing I do want to quiz the seller on is that measly 40GB HDD. I'm assuming the old one broke and for the sale he bought the cheapest he could just so it's operational, but we will see.

Now, to the important part. Price! The price the seller is asking for this machine is £380, however he is wanting a sale within 24 hours as stated and believe, if I offer £350 and pick up straight away we can strike a deal.

On this potential price of £350 - can you guys give me your thoughts.

Is it worth buying a 2009 model? Will ML be supported on this machine? Would price would you haggle for? What would you do personally. As much input as possible is very much appreciated.
  2. RedCroissant Suspended

Aug 13, 2011

The 2009 model will run ML since that model is on the upgrade list an

There might also be other problems that the seller is not mentioning. Scratches and a dent on the underside might reveal some of the seller's habits and I would check the ODD and the ports to see how clean they are or if they even work.

And Lion might be installed now, but since it's the 2009 model, you'll have to buy it form him with Snow Leopard on it and then upgrade it to Lion or ML yourself since the OS is now tied to your AppleID.

Is the seller including the original packaging, accessories and physical media?

This sounds promising, but pretty risky as well. This is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Offer no more than 275 because:

1.HDD size(that you will have to upgrade)
    2. the dent and scratches
    3. necessity of installing Lion or ML yourself

Good luck!