To push, or not to push?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Arkanok, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

I'm not too sure if this is true, but I heard that if you either set things to fetch instead of push, or even disabling push itself, it can help increase battery life. If this is true, I don't mind not having push enabled, but I've noticed that the contacts/calendars don't have a fetch option, and instead, only push or manual.

If it's set to manual, how do i sync the contacts and calendars to the "MobileMe Cloud" manually?

2. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

"To push, or not to push?"

either way, make sure you pinch it off.

3. kis macrumors 65816

Push eats about 10% of your battery life - so it's no biggy, just leave it on. I've been testing different combinations of the 3G setting, push vs. fetch, Wifi vs. EDGE etc. and in the end the difference in battery life has never been more than 10% - so go ahead and use your iPhone the way you like.

4. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Hmm.. Ok, I'll test it out myself, but let me ask you this, if I turn the "contacts/calendars" option to "manual", how do I actually manually sync to MobileMe? Does it just use the "Fetch" settings? If so, why wouldn't they just have a "fetch" option?

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If you turn off push for contacts and calendar, they manually sync through iTunes just like they did before this update.

6. mrtune macrumors 6502a

If contacts/calendar are set to manual, I believe they update when you open the app.