To RAID 1 or not to RAID 1 - that is the question...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nubben, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Nubben macrumors regular

Nubben

Hi All,

Ok, brief background to my query. I have two Western Digital Thunderbolt RAID enclosures with two HDDs in each (each drive is 3TBs) so 6TB in total per enclosure. It is software-based RAID 1.

I am booting in and out of Windows through Bootcamp and unfortunately the MacRAID driver I have installed has caused more problems than I anticipated (with corrupt RAID set-up on one of the enclosures).

So, I backed up my data and deleted the RAIDs on both enclosures. However, when I did that Disk Utility simply stated that if I deleted the RAID 1s the two drives would show up as two drives but the data would still be intact! I thought if one deleted the RAID all data would be lost?

Now my problem. As I am now backing up my drives manually using CronoSync I get two instances of the same file, folder or whatever when using Spotlight - quite annoying - so would like to go back to RAID 1 if I can.

Let's say that one drive would fail or the RAID gets corrupted. Can I simply take out one drive and use it on its own? I mean, is the data intact on the second drive as the computer writes to two drives simultaneously - if I take out the drive it's just as a normal drive - it does not contain any RAID info?

Many thanks in advance!

Regards.

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I don't know about the complications of Bootcamp and Winodws. On my LaCie 2Big 6TB, if it is running in RAID 1 with 3TB mirrored....I can remove one drive and continue to use the remaining drive. The purpose of RAID 1 is to provide high availability compared to a single drive. RAID 1 is in no way is a substitute for doing backups. RAID 1 + backups = good idea if you have the drives.

3. Nubben thread starter macrumors regular

Nubben

Thanks MCAsan. Is your LaCie drive hardware RAID? Maybe that's different than software like I have?

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

So the issue you have is that you can't see the RAID 1 from the Windows Side (or at least having difficulty doing so?)....

Couldn't you create something like a RAID 1 @ 2.5TB HFS and leave 500GB as Fat32 oso you don't have to use MacRAID? Do you really need access to your RAID 1 when in windows thru bootcamp?

5. Nubben thread starter macrumors regular

Nubben

Hi Paul,

I don't actually need the RAID in Windows. Win did however cause problems with one of my RAIDs.

I just want to be able to (if a failure of one of the drives in the RAID 1) take it out and put it ina dock or whatever to continue using it (and then restore).

I have read about enabling write-throughs and stuff but don't really understand any of it.

Regards.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

The choice between RAID 0, RAID 1, or JBOD is all in Disk Utility. No special driver or hardware from LaCie.

7. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

The whole idea of RAID 1 is to keep your system alive. Therefore, you can definitely take one HDD out and leave the remaining HDD in to run the system. OR take a HDD out and then use it as a stand alone HDD. The only problem is when you put that 2 HDDs back in a Mac at the same time, then your system should ask you which one is the master and sync them again.