To refurb or not to refurb

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by m3kilpat, Jul 21, 2009.

1. m3kilpat macrumors regular

So I've finally saved up to get a MBP and will be getting one in the next 3 weeks, but as of late I've been torn on which model I want. Originally I wanted the current 15" 2.8Ghz since it has everything. But then I read a thread about how most people don't even use the discrete graphics card and it's more of a battery killer than anything. I will be doing some gaming and some photoshop work and maybe some video editing. So then I thought hey, I'll save myself $600 and get the 15" 2.53. I've been going back and forth on if I really want/need the discrete GPU. Then I came across the refurbs, which only added to my uncertainty. I saw the 15" 2.66 model which has the 512mb discrete with 6mb L2 cache. That's for $1700, the same as the 2.53. So it is between those two. Here is what the cost breakdown will be.

1700 - 100 (edu discount) + 90 (320gb hd @ 7200) = 1690 + free ipod

1700 + 85 (tax) = 1785

I can avoid the tax if I get the 2.53 because I can buy that in a NH store while a refurb I must buy online and have shipped.

As far as I know the only difference between the models, apart from the graphics, L2, and hard drive size of course, is that the 2.53 has the 7 hour battery which is something I really want. So it's a question of battery vs performance. But do I really need the performance? Is apple working on a software change to dynamically switch between gpu's on the fly? What are your thoughts?

The free ipod isn't a deal maker or breaker. It's more about the pc.

2. Blackjack07 macrumors member

Blackjack07

Offtopic: Try not to say pc to a mac, it doesnt bother me, but i'm sure it bothers others.

Ontopic:

I bought my MBP as a refurb, and I picked the refurb because it had a better performance then if I'd gotten a new one. But I use it a lot for photoshop and video editing, so I really needed the performance part to be high standard.

A longer lasting battery is always a plus, but wherever I go (school mostly), there is a powerplug for my MBP, and when I dont have a plug available, my battery can last for about 2 hours (running at high performance) which gives me plenty of time.

So you have to consider about choosing the performance part, and whether it is interesting to have a faster mac, or a longer lasting battery.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

3. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

Not if you leave it in 9400 mode until you need the power. I would go with the refurb or the 2.8.

4. m3kilpat thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone else have any thoughts? I figured there would have been many more comments.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You will notice the battery way more then performance.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Get the refurbed 2.66, and an additional battery later on.

7. m3kilpat thread starter macrumors regular

There's no overwhelming majority on which to do. I've been looking at this thread.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

HD is moot because you can upgrade them if you wish. L2 cache size is moot because it makes very little difference. I'd get the additional battery and free iPod.

9. salientstimulus macrumors member

I was having a similar debate on a new vs refurb imac. In the end I went with the new, figuring I can probably get close to $200 back selling the iPod (already have a 32Gb touch). Not relevant to your decision, but I was also a little pissed that I'd have to buy a second keyboard (the refurb iMacs only come with the lame keypad-less one).

10. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

Always go with the refurbished ones, they always save you lots of money

Dear m3kilpat,

The best advice I can give you is to go with the refurbished ones. I was waiting for them to put the new MBP 15" with the SD card and 7hrs battery in the refurbished section, but it's taking too long to happen. So today I was checking the refurbished section every ten minutes and I found a MBP for $1449 that has everything that really matters on a high end MBP for a way cheaper price.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB471LL/A?mco=MjE0NjE5MA

This is a great deal, and if you think about it, you are paying $50 LESS than if you were buying the high end 13" they have right now For a PRO!

I hope it helps you. It is the best deal I could find in the last 3 weeks.

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The refurbed 2.66 can take up to 8 gigs of memory like the new ones. The 2.53 refurb can only take 6 unofficially. This might make a difference in a year or two.

12. m3kilpat thread starter macrumors regular

Actually I would do that over the 2.66 to save another $200, thanks for spotting that. But I think I'm going to go with the 2.53 because I really want the battery life and many people (in other threads) are saying the discrete isn't really worth it if you're not a video/image/gamer intensive user, which I'm not really. I may do light work with those things.

I think 4gb will be fine for awhile. I've had 2gb in my crap pc and it has suited me for 3 years.

13. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

Nope, the 2.66ghz, cannot take up 8gb of ram, just check their description, that's why I gave up waiting I got the much better deal with the 2.53ghz for $1449. Because even if they put the new ones (2.8ghz) with the SD card in the refurbished section it won't be for less than $1800 or $1700.

You must looking at the 17" 2.66 which supports 8GB even the older versions of the 17" do.

Gotta look for the SD card description, that's the only guarantee on the 15"

14. m3kilpat thread starter macrumors regular

At the end of the day I chose to go with the 2.53 [currently] new MBP. I'd probably benefit more from the battery life than the GPU.

15. mbprouser macrumors member

mbprouser

I see you made your decision but I will throw it out here anyway: refurb Macs do not qualify for the free iPod. I was a little bummed when I bought mine but then realized how much I was saving over a new computer and it worked out for me in my favor.

16. Carmellom macrumors member

I would stay away from refurb, they break down 70% of the time and have to be serviced at your cost... just a suggestion.

17. BBSwany macrumors newbie

That is incorrect. Apple offers the same 1 year parts and labor warranty as new units, as well as the opportunity to purchase Applecare.

See Here: http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/apple_certified.html