To Register, or Not To Register...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kngspook, May 31, 2010.

1. kngspook macrumors newbie

Hi.

So, I generally refrain from registering most products. But with Apple, I've been debating if maybe I should. I buy a lot of products from them, and I wasn't sure if there was any advantage to having it all on file...

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to registering my stuff with Apple? (I'm looking for official and unofficial advantages/disadvantages.)

Thanks. :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you ever have to deal with AppleCare (warranty), it will help if it's registered as they see all your information under the serial number. In worst case, if they lose it and the serial number is unregistered, it might be hard to get it back. Unofficially it might help in case of burglary because if it's then found later on, Apple can track you with the serial.

AFAIK, there are no disadvantages

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

A lot of the time when you register a product, your Email or physical address gets dumped on a mailing list and you end up getting loads of advertising and other spam from the company.

I registered my MacBook and providing you make sure the little boxes that says you agree to the comapny sending you mail from 'other partners' and suchlike aren't ticked you'll be OK.

4. EasyJW macrumors member

I registered so that the mac's serial is registered to your name in the case of a burglary etc [​IMG]