To repair, or to upgrade? Liquid damage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by r6mile, Apr 10, 2013.

1. r6mile, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013

r6mile macrumors 6502

Hello fellow Mac users,

I own a mid-2010 13" Macbook Pro, the basic model with Intel C2D 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 250GB. It has served me very well for nearly three years: it has travelled all over the world, and scratches all over to prove it. Though with nearly 800 battery cycles the battery capacity is not what it used to, hovering at 70-75%. I am also finding that having both a Mac and a Windows partition, 250GB is not really enough anymore. Performance-wise, I don't use any heavy apps except for the occasional game, when it does indeed feel strained.

A few days ago, I spilled a little water on the side of the laptop. I followed the steps you're meant to in such cases, and to my surprise after over 48h of rest it came back to life and turned on.

Well, not quite. The laptop will now often randomly shut down, sometimes after 2 hours of usage, sometimes immediately after turning on. It doesn't matter whether it's running on the battery or on the mains, and is completely unpredictable.

I went to the Apple Store, where they pointed out a small dot of corrosion in the middle of the logic board, and quoted me the standard £360 to replace it. But with a Macbook Pro refresh expected in 2 months, and the fact that as a student I get a 14% discount + free Apple care +£70 credit for the App Store, I am debating whether to spend the £860 that it would cost me to buy a brand new laptop (FYI, this is compared to the £1200 that MBP+AppleCare would cost me were I not a student).

So therefore, my question is: do I spend £360 to fix a 3-year old laptop, and give it about a year of extra life back? Or do I spend £860, 2.4x as much, to get a brand new laptop?

Thanks,

P.S: It is worth pointing out that being a student with no savings, either way it would be a significant financial investment to be financed by (interest-free) credit card debt.

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Might as well buy a new one and have it last you 3-5 years (assuming you don't spill more liquid on it).

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Neither, go buy a cheap Windows notebook, putting yourself into dept for a computer makes no sense at all. Few truly need a Mac, a Windows system will easily last two years or more. Once you are earning you can always return to an Apple computer.

A Windows system will be cheaper, have a minimum of 12 months warrantee, will be faster and have more storage. Since Windows 7, Microsoft`s OS is very stable and mature, and i rather suspect more aligned with your course work.

4. r6mile, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013

r6mile thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your advice Queen6, but after 5 years using Macs I don't think I could go back to using a PC.

5. Kattym macrumors member

If I were you, I would buy anew one. Anyway, in a year or two your device will be too old and you will have to buy a new one. So, why to spend extra money or repairing what is old?
    Mac or Windows? it is up to you. What do you like more? If you are short of money Windows will be a good option, besides, you still can sell your ruined notebook for details.

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Sure I know, I have used both OS X & Windows since they emerged. I now have a new contract that stipulates "all work submitted must be completed on a Windows 7 system, PC based hardware not Mac" so a new ThinkPad it is. Overall I prefer OS X, over windows I guess "as the man is paying the money, he gets to pick the tune" at least ThinkPad`s are really nice machines, equally going back to "7" after MountainLion is a little like traveling in time, admittedly Windows & is a rock solid OS and gets the job done, if not very elegantly.

What I do recommend you do ASAP buy if you don't already have one is an external USB drive and a couple of solid backup plans/apps. if you loose your coursework it will be a disaster far beyond replacing the Mac.

7. r6mile thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your advice, everybody. My MBP now won't even power on now, so I have declared it dead.

In the end, I have decided to wait a few (long) weeks until June, when the MBP refresh is due, and purchase a new model. I realise that spending all that money to repair a 3-year laptop is not the best idea. Thankfully, I own a Kindle Fire which I can use to browse the internet, access to computers at uni to write essays, and a very nice flatmate that has allowed me to use her desktop.

Thankfully, I have an external hard drive, so I have removed its casing and placed my MBP hard drive inside, installed HFS drivers on my flatmate's PC desktop, and I can now access all my data.

I should be able to get £150-£200 if I sell it as faulty on eBay, which will certainly help towards the cost of a new one. Do you think I would get more money if I sell it all together, or sell it by parts (i.e. hard drive, RAM, battery, separately)?

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That seems high, but if you can get that much, I would go for a new one. Just getting a repair isn't a guarantee against the need for future service. Batteries and chargers can die when you get to that point in the life of a computer. What do you mean a macbook pro refresh in 2 months? Notebook haswell won't be out by then.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say buy one but it appears we'll not see a new MBP until late summer. The haswell chips won't be ready until June (maybe even longer thanks to the USB 3 bug) and that only pushes the MBP availability back.

10. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

Buy a new one and sell your liquid damaged on eBay, with a clear disclaimer. It may be worth the repair to someone.

11. LeeM macrumors 6502a

i sold my first gen air on ebay for a decent amount, it had a knackered battery, water damage so the keyboard didnt work and the hinges were broken with one being snapped in half completely. completely not worth repairing in my eyes but someone obviously thought differently.
    bung yours on ebay (or inbox me if youve got a price in mind ;)) and see what happens, put that money towards the new one. bear in mind it wont be until august that you get your £70 voucher, its only part of the back to school promotion.

12. r6mile thread starter macrumors 6502

Regarding the release date for the new Macbook Pro, I have found this info here http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130408PD219.html:

Yesterday, I was browsing eBay and ended up purchasing an eMac 1Ghz upgraded to the max 1Gb RAM for a grand total of £13.50 ($20)! It was located 20min from my house, and I collected it right away. Don't get me wrong, it is slow, but for basic internet and word processing it'll do just fine until the MBP release.

I'm going to upgrade to Leopard, purchase an Airport Extreme card (they go for £5-10 on eBay) and later resell it. I have a pretty good profit-making record when buying-upgrading-reselling old desktop Macs already (2 iMac G3s, 1 PowerMac G4, and another G4 eMac).

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow an eMac - nice find. Good luck, it should hold you over for the short term :D