To Replace or Not To Replace... That Is The Question!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Statusnone88, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

So here's the rundown:

I have a week 25 32GB iPhone 4. Everything on the phone is just fine. I mean, like all phones I drop signal but I keep a dust-collecting bumper on it plus I'm in a great service area so I'm not too worried about that. No green blobs (that I know of) and no severe off-white balance issues (some yellowing with flash, that's about it.) None of this dust under the screen, or anything of that sort.

Now I am having a severe proximity sensor issue which I've tried all the fixes on our side, but nothing works. Apple has already agreed to replace it with a new unit but I'm just kind of in a decision-making pickle. I do have a hairline scratch that looks to be under the glass (I've had it there since day 1) and that is driving me insane on top of the sensor issues.

So my dilemma is do I try my luck at replacing the phone for a newer unit to fix my OCD-scratches and possibly the proximity sensor or do I accept the fact that the newer unit could have more problems then this one and it's not worth the risk?

I'm really torn on this, or I would of made the decision myself already so anyone's experiences and/or input would greatly be of help.

2. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Id say replace if your OCD....
    Why not if it has issues. If the next does, replace again

Also, try thinking for yourself. Its your damn phone

3. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

I am thinking for myself. But sometimes it's easier for a 3rd party to comment on an issue than the person who has to actually make the decision.

Of course the ultimate decision will be mine, but I respect this board enough to make some input and help me reach a conclusion.

4. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

I would definitely replace. You're entitled to a properly working phone without defects.

5. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Its a personal thing though. Do YOU have time to go to the store, is the store close, do you have time to resync, will you be able to live w/o your phone while its syncing, do you have people skills, are you mentally prepared to get a dud... ect.

6. pintnight macrumors 6502

Proximity sensor issue is supposed to be fixed in iOS 4.1.0 which is in BETA.

7. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

i'd say work on your OCD issues and keep the phone. you are going to find something wrong with every one you get because its a phone, not a diamond. they are going to have slight imperfections if you look hard enough. as for the proximity issue, that is being addressed with the next update.

8. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

True and let's hope it gets released SOON! No need to replace your phone as IMO all phones have some sort of proximity issue.

9. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

The input is much appreciated. The Proximity Sensor issue is going to be "fixed" in a new software update but I figured I'd use this as an excuse to get these scratches taken care of. And yeah, you're absolutely right I probably will find something to complain about on the next one at least I can say I tried.

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

You make sound like this is going to be your most important decision you will ever make. ULTIMATELY!
    Here is what I am doing. I returned my black one. I am waiting for white one.

11. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Lol in 11 months I won't even remember caring this much about this one.

And about you returning it... I totally wish I could but since apple isnt giving us a date I'd be without a phone for a while. Or I could gogo TracFone until I get it.

12. oozeymc macrumors newbie

I have a similar dilemma. Mine is struggling with the proximity sensor, I have no blobs on the screen, but it's also dropping calls left, right and centre.

I bought on 24 June so my 30 day window is nearing the end. I'm hopeful that if I return I can get luckier with a replacement. I love everything about the phone, barring the issues I've experienced with call dropping and the proximity sensor.

As mine is a 16GB, can I take back to Apple and ask for a 32GB replacement or will I have to re-register if I want a different model? Or will I have to re-register in any case?

If anyone could help I'd appreciate it!

13. reaborg macrumors member

I wonder if the proximity sensors are racially biased. Its more sensitive to certain color of skin vs another. I know some people who have terrible issues with it, some have no issue at all. It would be quite interesting.

Its like that episode of "Better Off Ted" when they installed new sensors in the lab...