To reset jailbroken phone and retain data

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by anishkanoria, May 26, 2010.

1. anishkanoria macrumors newbie

Basically, I have my iphone3G jailbroken under the software 3.1.2. The problem is that my phone's home button is broken so I have to get a new one.
    So when I restore my new iphone3G I would like to restore it to exactly how I had my phone now with all my Text messages. Text messages is the only thing that I am worried about and was wondering if I could have them transferred to a completely new one. Can you help me. How do I save them to my computer and after I have deleted everything off my iphone - have all my data, but especially my text messages restored.
    Thanks

2. Davvido macrumors regular

Davvido

Create a backup in iTunes (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766) and keep it safe until you get the new phone. If you get it, you will have to ways to restore all your data: 1. Restore backup in iTunes (it will ask you to do so); 2. Use iPhone Backup Extractor or JuicePhone to extract all your data from iTunes' backup, then put it manually in the proper place (for SMS: ~/Library/SMS) and then change its permissions to /chmod/ 644 and /chown/ mobile:mobile.