iPhone To restore or not restore...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jimmythehill, Feb 3, 2013.

1. jimmythehill macrumors member

May 31, 2010
    Jailbroken iphone 4s on 5.1.1
    Tweaked to my optimum ... Love it...
    But , well , will i be any better off restoring and updating to iOS6?
    I know the jailbreak isn't out yet, but I had problems restoring my old 3GS n regretted doing so...
    Wary of making same mistake...

Assistance/advice welcome.
  2. rak007 macrumors 6502a

Oct 31, 2011
    I am also on 4S iOS 5.1.1 and am on fence whether i should update to iOS 6.1 or not. Not sure if it provides any worthwhile features that i might use.
  3. stridemat Moderator

Staff Member

Apr 2, 2008
    I would wait until the new JB is released first and then upgrade.
  4. Knockoutjosie macrumors 6502

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes , I'd rather wait a few more days. It won't hurt right ;)
  5. jimmythehill thread starter macrumors member

May 31, 2010
    You're right, it won't hurt...Still unsure...do I attempt to "fix something that's not broken" so to speak.
  6. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2011
    The large majority of iOS 6 annoyances can be fixed with a jailbreak.

I just want to update because I know i'm gonna get my device into a boot loop eventually and be forced to update to 6.0, so I would rather it be out of my own accord.
  7. rman726 macrumors 6502

Oct 15, 2007
    I would upgrade. 6.1.1 will likely be coming out shortly...
  8. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Jan 27, 2012
    I restored both my iPhone 4s and iPad 3 in order to upgrade to 6.1...It made both my devices snappier. I had originally chose "update" instead of "restore". Restoring eliminated lag while doing various things...One example is when scrolling over to the "spotlight" search page.
  9. guitarmandp macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2012
    For my iPad I bricked my device installing siriport a few weeks ago so I'm no longer jailbroken :) If I wasn't into retro gaming this wouldn't be a huge deal but it's a huge deal. I would have stayed on 5.1.1 because I like the maps app.
  10. jimmythehill thread starter macrumors member

May 31, 2010
    well I am still waiting to update...think I shall see what errors are exposed from the new Evasi0n jailbreak before I do...
  11. shifimofo macrumors newbie

Feb 4, 2013
    Just upgraded to iOS 6 from 5.1.1

Chosen to go for a fresh install. All contacts backed up on iCloud etc so that's all I'm bothered about. Chose to do a fresh install etc as I know *exactly* what tweaks I wanted installed and thought it'd be best to "clear house" as they say.
  12. jimmythehill thread starter macrumors member

May 31, 2010
    What do you mean "fresh install"?
  13. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

Apr 11, 2012
    I assume he means a DFU Restore as new, not from a backup. For what its worth, that's how I always upgrade my firmware.
  14. shifimofo, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013

shifimofo macrumors newbie

Feb 4, 2013
    I followed the upgrade guidelines as doing a RESTORE, rather than UPGRADE when going from 5.1.1 to 6.1 - Once you've completed the restore there an option to "Set up as a new phone" or "Restore from Backup" - Restoring from the backup pulls in app data etc.

I wanted to treat it like I would a Mac, or Windows, computer and clear out all unwanted crap and start from fresh, just to see if the phone was any snappier compared to before.

EDIT: and if it's any consolation, I've upgraded and jailbroken without issue, started installing my favourite apps and it already feels snappier!