To return or not return...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itommyboy, Oct 2, 2010.

1. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

...that is the my question? I'm 2 days from my 30 days are up. So far my iPhone 4 has all in all been great. I'm in awe of it as I was with each and every previous generations model.

I was using a case since purchase day on this one, but have become bored with a case's look and bulk and want to show this sexy beast off. That is when I realized I have death grip in a major way.

Probably nothing worse than what has been so widely reported by so many, but I lose 2-3 bars holding it what I consider "normal" for me with no case and it drives me nuts.

My model # is A1332 and Serial # begins with 82. I try not to buy to much into hyped theory's, but I wonder...if I return this otherwise perfect phone is it possible I get a later model # that WILL NOT have death grip antennae loss? But then is there also a chance I get one with more issues....prox sensor, yellow screen and the like? All of which I have not had on this original purchase.

Should I just live with the antennae issue like so many are doing and be happy with what I've got? Pisses me off to have to live with that, but such is the price we pay for being devoted :apple:seeds I guess. :confused:

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Live and be happy!

3. THE dAY macrumors 6502

Bars are dropping, but are you actually losing call quality or dropping calls?

If not, then keep it.

4. missygal Guest

missygal

I second that!

5. itommyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

TBH I'm not really dropping calls. And this phone does work night and day better in places (like inside my home and other buildings!) where my last 3 gens did not even allow a call.

There have a been a couple of times I've called someone and they've said "hello, hello, hellooooo?"....I think that is the prox issue, but then again it's only happened when talking to my mother and she is not the most tech advanced person, so could be user error on her end. God bless you moms! ;)

Thanks to all who have replied so far I'm sure this question has most likely been asked or posted in some form or fashion thousands of times by now. I just could not find my style of wording/pondering even after a bit of searching MRoogle.

That being said if others still want to chime in I'm all ears and still a bit on the undecided fence.

6. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

No one can answer your question but you. If it were me, based on the info you gave, I would keep the phone and keep it in a case. The case not only neutralizes the antenna issue, but protects the phone as well. It is glass front and back, and that glass is not unbreakable nor unscratchable. If it is not in a case then in a short while you will be back here asking if you can return it because:

A) The face is scratched.
    B) The back is scratched.
    C) The antenna metal is scratched.
    D) You dropped it and not only is it broken but now A, B, and C are true. :D

Happens all the time. There are cases out there that will do a great job of protecting the phone while still letting it look quite nice.

7. Zcott macrumors 68020

Proof of why "death grip" is overhyped. And your answer.

8. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Keep it. I went through all those stage of grief with the iPhone 4 and its antenna issues. Shock, denial, anger depression and finally, acceptance (ok, it wasn't that dramatic but you get the idea).

I got my free Incase clear from Apple and it has virtually eliminated the bars drop.

I got used to it and moved on. This phone is too awesome to not have when the issue can be resolved so cheaply and easily.

Do I think the antenna issue is BS and should be fixed? Of course.

But whataya gonna do...

9. itommyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

No I wouldn't be back here asking those questions because well, you're preaching to the choir. You see I've dropped and scratched and finally shattered all 3 earlier versions of my iPhones going without a case. :(

Yet I still want to roll this one naked because it's just so sexy and sleek. Am I crazy you may ask? Craziness, like phone issues, are often within the eye of the beholder.

I'm not afraid of some nicks and scratches, nor am I unable to pay for a cheap self repair kit, or even a new phone under AppleCare if the damage warranted such measures.

What I'm really trying to find out from the place to find out, is if there are truly "no antennae issues - no issues whatsoever" iPhone 4's in the wild, or if it's like Bigfoot and nothing more than a myth.

But I do believe you may be on to something in that nobody can really answer these, my questions...maybe tech issues are often subjective as well; to each his/her own.

10. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

The real proof is that in pretty much every other country outside of the States, few people are dropping calls at higher rates than are normal for smartphones. I've yet to drop a single call with my iP4, and its signal loss when death-gripped is actually less than most Android phones that I've owned.

11. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Does that mean the problem is AT&T, over reaction, or both?

12. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

1. Massive overreaction (remember that all early reviewers had few issues with AT&T)
    2. AT&T
    3. People looking to replicate the death-grip on purpose.

Up here, I cannot get a Rogers or a Telus iP4 to lose much signal, but the Bell that I played with seemed to be more susceptible. Obviously, the carrier and the area play a large part.

13. sectime macrumors 6502a

I had the AT&T store install the Zagg shield front and back when I bought the phone. I like the sticky feeling, no chance it will slip out my hand. I got the free bumper case. Most of time I carry it without the case. I agree on the looks. I can make the bars drop but I have not had a dropped call so nonissue for me. Why do phone makers but bars on the display? Analog display for a digital value?? The phone works or not, and clearly the bars don't correlate to call quality.

14. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

If your really that unsure return it. Try maybe other phones or see if you can go about having your iPhone. If you can't just buy and iPhone again. The newer models dont tend to have the "death grip" issue as much and there is no proximity sensor issue.

15. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

What I am wondering is why you can't make up your mind on your own?

It's not like any of us here have to deal with the issue and therefore really have no valid input other than opinion.

Why should our opinions be a means of swaying your decisions??

WW

16. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I think it's kinda silly to return the iPhone for that reason. Unless it's a real big problem where you drop calls all the time/lose signal, I wouldn't do it. And I think that if you return the iPhone, they won't give you a new one, however, you could try to exchange it. But then you might get a older, refurbished model.

So yeah, I'd keep it, unless you want a different phone

17. itommyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

This an open forum to discuss ideas, opinions, experiences, sometimes you even run across the rare fact. It is more return/exchange experiences that I seek. Those indeed would help formulate more of an educated decision, which in the end will be and is ultimately my own.

What better place to gather popular opinion or first hand experience on my above later re-worded frame of mind: "What I'm really trying to find out from the place to find out, is if there are truly no antennae issues - no issues whatsoever - iPhone 4's in the wild, or if it's like Bigfoot and nothing more than a myth." than on a forum dedicated to the very product of discussion? :confused: Somehow I don't think anything you have to say would matter to me either way, but thanks for your input, or lack thereof.