To return or not to return - What would you guys do?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by aminewyork, Oct 2, 2008.

1. aminewyork macrumors newbie

My situation is as follows:

Bought brand new Mac Pro - dual 2.8ghz/10GB RAM/1 TB HD/ Nvidia 8800/Airport/Blue tooth

When I first set it up, on start up, got a grey screen, and eventually, a grey folder with a blinking "?" = HD issues. Started up from install disk & did clean reinstall of OSX. Mac Pro finally did boot up in OSX, but was running so sluggish I could barely use it. Later that day I restarted and got folder with "?" again

Called the mac reseller and they shipped brand new Hitachi 1TB HD. Installed HD, another clean install of OSX, and, viola, we were back in business and everything was running fast. Did Migration form old machine. While I was migrating, I knocked out my FW cord so I don't think I got a clean migration. Restart - grey screen with "?".

Start all over (clean install OSX -> migration).

Now.. everything is running great, fast, etc (other than my airport card having issues connection here and there).

24 hours and no problem.

Am I out of the woods? Do you guys think it was just a HD problem?

My Mac reseller has offered to ship me out a brand new replacement mac pro and I can just return this one. Should I take him up on it or do you guys think I should just keep this machine now that I seem to have all the bugs worked out?

Thx in advance

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if everything is wall fine and snappy now then i think your fine. as a precaution before you think about returning it run a hardware test from install DVD 1 by holding "D" on startup.

if an error comes up (make sure you test it a few times on extended) definately take it back.

3. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Sounds like the first time was the harddrive not making the trip home. The second time was your fault. So with a new drive and everything working I think you are good to go my friend!

4. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi,

Just wait a few days, watching your MP bit closer. But if you're uncertain, take the offer.

sash

5. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

6. iGrant macrumors 6502a

I had the same thing happen to me when I got my iBook G4 when I was doing a Migration, I knocked the cable loose and then had to restart again and reinstall from scratch.

I would run the hardware test just to make sure nothing comes up, if nothing does, then I would say you are fine.

-iGrant

7. aminewyork thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for the response guys, really appreciate it. My hope is that this machine will be good. I am going to back up every night to be safe.

I'd love to avoid the hassle of getting a new MP shipped (and hoping UPS doesn't damage it) and getting all my databases and such set up again.

Biggest worry is obvs finding out, down the road, that there was something else wrong with this machine, losing all that time, and then regretting I didn't take the offer.

Stupid question here - what do you mean with hardware test? Do you mean starting up with CD and doing Disk Utility?

8. krye macrumors 68000

krye

9. kixsand macrumors regular

kixsand

I think you should keep it.

Your skill and spirit rescued a poor soul from a lifetime of grey screen at startup with a flashing question mark. Surely you can't turn your back on it now! You're the only human that has ever loved it... truly loved it! It will repay the favour one day...you can count on that my friend.

Now begone.
    :)

darren

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

insert install DVD 1 and restart holding "D". the Hardware test OS will then start. its pretty basic (literally!) and simple too use :).

11. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Yeah just run the hardware test. It won't take long, and it'll set your mind at ease. :)

12. aminewyork thread starter macrumors newbie

Ran a hardware test as suggested and everything checked out. Looks like I have a keeper.

Now if I can only figure out why my wireless download speeds on my mac pro are 1/2 that of my Macbook Pro?

13. grue macrumors 65816

…and that's about it. The hardware test is about as useful as giving Stevie Wonder a wallpaper catalogue.

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

If you have windows installed, you can use hitachi's drive tools.
    Drive Fitness Test
    OGT

Check the drive model, as you will need to make sure of the correct program for your drive. :)

15. iGrant macrumors 6502a

I similar question was asked in the Mac Mini and iMac forum. Leave your Mac Pro on for a few hours, let spotlight do its thing and then the wireless will speed up. I don't truly understand the connection between the two but there seems to be one.

-iGrant