To return or not to return?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EggrollShop, Jun 23, 2009.

  1. EggrollShop macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2009
    #1
    Ok so I just recently made an account on here but I have been reading topics in this forum since I first got my whitebook in 2007. Anyway I have a question...

    I recently purchased a UMP at Best Buy a couple days after the 2009 revision was announced. It was at the time 2,499$ (The "High End" 15inch). I got a great deal on it. Paid 1,888$ for it. Now with the new 15 showing up at my local Best Buy, I was wondering should I return the one I have and get the newer 2,299$ model. I have 1 day to return it and was just wondering if it was worth it. I know the newer one has an SD card slot instead of an express slot as well as a bigger HDD, and the graphics card memory is down to 256MB which is no big deal. Oh and the battery is also different. Just wanted to here your opinions. Thanks in advance!!!
     
  2. iphong macrumors member

    iphong

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2004
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #2
    Do they charge you restocking fee? I guess they do.

    The $2299 has 2.8Ghz, 500Gb Hard Drive, 7 hours of battery and expandable to 8Gb RAM. Compare this specs to the old 2499 one 2.66, 320Gb, 5 Hours battery and only expandable to 6Gb of RAM.

    If you get 2300 back from your old one, I would suggest you do that and get the new one. But if you re ok with current specs and the fact that you like removable battery and Express slot, then keep it.
     
  3. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #3
    You can play this game forever- just keep what you have if it's doing what you want it to.
     
  4. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2009
    #4
    This.

    I've really been surprised at how many of these threads have been popping up since the revisions. You'd think this was the first time technology has ever been updated.
     
  5. bolen macrumors 6502

    bolen

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Location:
    Sweden
    #5
    I believe that the 2.66Ghz model is expandable to 8GB as well. It's only the 2.4 and 2.53GHz models (and the UMB's) that has the 6GB limit. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
     
  6. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 21, 2009
    Location:
    Chicago
    #6
    i had the same situation with my 13" uMB and decided to trade in for the uMBP. VERY happy with the decision... Long term upgrade ability (8 gb) is huge for me. Now that they have the SATA issue fixed, I will conceivably be able to cheaply upgrade both the ram and hd in a couple of years for much cheaper, and make the machine perform better than ever!

    I would do it. It should about even out with the stocking fee and then you won't live in regret.
     
  7. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2008
    Location:
    Warsaw, Poland
    #7
    Unless you really need longer battery life, don't.
     
  8. djarsalan2006 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2009
    Location:
    New York City
    #8
    If it was me i'd go for it and get the new one ..do what you think is the best for you ..good luck
     
  9. EggrollShop thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2009
    #9
    Yeah well I actually got my UMP for 1,888$ (employee discount :D) And if I decided to return it they wouldn't charge me a restocking fee because I work there. The thing that I really want to know is if my model can hold 8GB of RAM. If it can then I'm going to keep it. If it can't ill just return it and pay a little extra to get the new 15inch.
     

Share This Page