To Screen Protect? or not Screen Protect?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by computermilk, Jun 18, 2009.

1. computermilk macrumors 6502

So... we all know the 3Gs has the new Olephobic screen....

with Both of my iPhones i have purchased and kept Screen protectors on my screens.. to prevent scratches and whatever else gets on the screen like oils and such.

Question is... should we Screen protect the Olephobic Screen?

I guess the reason why im asking is... isnt if we PUT a screen protector OVERTOP the olephobic screen then we are no longer getting that benefit? its the screen protector now... i wonder if it would be weird or whatever.

2. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

i plan on it... but i really wish i could see/touch one before i did... but i'm afraid if i touch mine before i put the protector on i'll end up with bubbles which will drive me crazy.

3. computermilk thread starter macrumors 6502

SAME HERE!! LOL!!

That's why i always slap a Screen on it RIGHT outside of the box.

literally i take it out, then put a protector on it.

4. entity macrumors regular

I bought the Power Support Anti-Glare Film and Incase Slider both waiting for tomorrows delivery :).

I just couldn't run it naked! Even with the fingerprint resistant screen. ++ scratch free things sell better on eBay!

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

-To
    Zagg Invisible Shield
    Right our of the box on Friday
    Installed by Best Buy
    All the oleophobic screen does is make it easier to clean. Fingerprints still exist.

6. computermilk thread starter macrumors 6502

I also bought the same Film as you, and it actually arrived Yesterday =)

Ordered it in the same order as my iPhone and they Split the shipment up... =/

7. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I've used screen protectors in the past with things like my SLR camera etc, but I never bothered with the iPhone since it's a glass screen and by nature scratch resistent. My iPhone's been lugged around in my pocket daily for a year now (inside an iPod sock) and the screen is still mint.

Personally, I wouldn't bother since it puts something between you and the glass, giving a different feel to the screen and possibly a slight decrease in accuracy of the touch screen. Of course that's just my opinoin, it's up to you...

8. BB15 macrumors newbie

I'm in the same dilemma as the OP. I ordered an iSkin Solo case which I'll definitely be putting on, but it comes with a screen protector and I'm not sure if I want to put it on or keep it off. I'll probably put it on just in case though.

9. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I already have my invisishield at home on my desk, out of the package, and ready to install. I'll be putting it on Friday night. Taking no chances. As was already said, no scratches means easier to sell later if I choose to do that.

10. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

See, i'm confused as well. I have 2 Switcheasy screen shields on deck for my 3GS, but i don't know if i want to now. I know my dad isn't going to be putting one on, because he believes it can't scratch, but i'm still trying to figure it out.

I mean, from carrying my phone in my pocket with or without a case, how scratch resistant do you think it is? And i wonder if the new screen coating helps at all as far as being resistant?

11. Sebby macrumors 6502a

I highly recommend the Power Support Anti-glare as well.

12. lw9090 macrumors regular

Same

I still have one from when I bought one for my 3G in September. This protector lasts forever.

13. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

I just yesterday finally caved in and put a screen protector on my 3G. After having it for a few days, I somehow scratched it...I have absolutely no idea how, but it's annoying enough that I'm not letting that happen again.

The screen protector that I put on it is one of those "Anti Glare" ones, which makes the picture on the phone a tad fuzzy, but I don't care. I'm tired of giving Apple all of my money and scratching or dropping and cracking the thing after a few days! I now keep my iPhone in a slider case as well. I'm just going to get used to it being this way. :)

14. entity macrumors regular

I had the Anti Glare film with my Edge phone and it lasted a year and a half. Best protector on the market IMO! And I got mine yesturday too!

15. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

We are going to look at the screen first. If we decide it needs it, then I'll clean the screen with my eye glass cleaner.

16. computermilk thread starter macrumors 6502

I think i'm most worried about scratches on the screen... Permanant ones... So i think i've decided to go with the Screen protector.... been doing it for 2 years mine as well keep doing it.

Those things can absorb so much damage.. you could take a razor blade to them and it won't go through to the screen.

i would LOVE to see and enjoy the Olephobic screen... but i just feel like i would be PISSED if i scratched it up.

17. klb028 macrumors 6502

so, can you do this all the time? like, if I buy the invisibleSHIELD off of a website... I can just bring it to Best Buy and ask them to place it on the phone for me? or did you buy yours at Best Buy? I was thinking about buying the invisibleSHIELD online and asking someone at Apple to help me out, but I wasn't sure if that was okay... hahah.

18. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I will be buying it tomorrow when I pick up my phone, directly from Best Buy's shelves.

Honestly though, Best Buy associates are pretty nice. And they want you to come back. If you go to them with a Zagg that you bought elsewhere, they will probably be bored enough to do it anyways.

One of the guys I spoke to said, "if you're buying it from me, I want you to leave happy, and I'll install it for free. If you bought it elsewhere, I'd appreciate a $5 tip for my assistance." Then he laughed a bit.

19. FlintAlt2 macrumors regular

There is absolutely no point to putting a screen protector on. It's kind of like having Antivirus for the Mac.

I've had my iPhone 3G for 4 months now with good use... absolutely no problems with the screen, no scratches , no dents and no cracks. I've even considered taking the silicon case I got for it to take the bulk off.

It's just companies making money on consumers being well over worried about tiny insignificant things.

:) Save your money and buy some sweet apps!

20. nutmac macrumors 68040

I've had my iPhone since July 2007. No screen protector. It's been dropped many times, sometimes to hard concrete. The screen has zero scratch.